Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Forum Code Of Conduct

Guest Jeremy Law

This industry is run by fear and intimidation ESPECIALLY where the newer members of our industry are concerned, anyone care to refute that? I have to laugh when i hear people say "sign your name or you will have no credibility". I have been in this game a long time too, in fact worked together with Mr. Helilog 56 more (much more...lol) than a decade ago and am very secure with who i am and my position but still don't want to sign my name. We are just exchanging ideas and opinions, i don't need to make friends on here nor do i need the fake respect of someone who posts perhaps wisely, perhaps not, but is a complete d!ck head in person. (not saying for a minute that any of the posters who sign their names are... , i really don't get that worked up about it.)

Most who sign their name are at the top of their game and have no one to fear, they can say what they think and not be afraid that they are going to piss someone off and it will cost them their job or an employment opportunity in the future. (that's what anonymity is all about you guys, in a nut shell) Yes some of the so called "icons" or "pioneers" of our industry are real S O B's. Underhanded smear campaigns, black listing and sabotage are the order of the day and don't say otherwise, i've seen the careers of too many good men and a few women too ruined by such "upstanding" people. Sign your name....you guys are a laugh a minute, oh and would you like most of those who would to slip their heads into a noose too? LOL

Whitestone

• Like 10

Because we're here, it's probably natural to single out this industry for these failings. However, I've functioned in others that, believe it or not, I found even worse in the character assassination and blacklisting departments. Human nature prevails - whether it's in your house or the one next door. Get used to it. The only way it'll change is if YOU, and I, and as many others as truly want it to change, will set and maintain examples of decency (and this place doesn't seem to evidence many).

• Like 4

This industry is run by fear and intimidation ESPECIALLY where the newer members of our industry are concerned, anyone care to refute that? I have to laugh when i hear people say "sign your name or you will have no credibility".

Whitestone

Don't forget the Backstabbing as well from fellow pilots. "Fear and intimidation" seems to be the way to keep us newer pilots inline to do what is best for the companies not the employee. It's a fine line standing up for yourself and not being a "problem" or letting them take advantage of you. I started with one of the bigger companies last year and was promised all the opportunities and security. I kept my mouth shut and didn't ask for anything. I watched pilot after pilot go out to work some new fresh hires with less experience than myself while i sat at home collecting a pay check that was about equivalent to EI. I called twice to see when i would be sent out and was then told maybe middle of June. Got off the phone and thought for a bit, maybe middle of june then possibly laid off in september, F*** that and sent my letter of resignation and had a plane ticket for another job for the next day and was out flying 3 days later. But that's when the old scare tactics came in with emails and phone calls. It's not ok for them to loose there measly recurrent training costs, but it is ok for me to not make the yearly salary that was promised. I honestly thought how would i possibly make that 70- 80K a year promised when getting sent to work in middle or end of june then possibly getting laid off in september. If a company is going to sell you on all there BS, than don't be surprised when guys leave after they find out they have been lied to. I guess it's how the games played. Would i go back to that company? Yes, but i would set myself up better starting out and only sign on if I get what i want and not be shy to tell them i will leave if i don't get what was promised. It's just how the game is played. But i sure wouldn't sign my name to this post and give any of the top SOB's out there any ammo to use against me or my livelihood. That would just be stupid on my part.

• Like 8

Wow!

Death threats, blacklists, fear, intimidation, cash, helicopters........

I don’t think anyone has an issue with remaining anonymous, especially after reading some of the previous posts. Only downside is you shouldn’t expect to be taken seriously.

It can be a tough business – most everyone knew that coming in.

I sincerely hope some of your real lives are not as bad as portrayed here.

Wayne

• Like 3

I participate in a number of forums with very different areas of interest. Some allow anonymity and some require your real identity. Each approach serves a different purpose and results in very different content. I express myself differently with each approach. The forums with actual identities are full of facts and ideas but very little controversy. Any arguments that pop-up are like listening to a university debating event.

The key difference, and it is very relevant here, is for persons who hold jobs that require them to be careful with what they say. For example, I wonder how many Transport Canada people are on this forum? I'll bet they are here somewhere. I am quite sure that many of them have personal opinions that would not be officially acceptable. They would have to be very careful about revealing those opinion in writing if they were easily identifiable. We talk here about repercussions to voicing opinions about a company - imagine what would happen to you if you came out against government policy if you are a government worker. That is a career limiting move!

Maybe what is needed is a second forum that requires you to fully identify yourself so that the benefits of both approaches are achieved.

• Like 3

Grasshopper,

You couldn't be more off base! Construction workers are among the kindest and most polite people there are. They all go to church, love their mother in law's and apologise if they have slighted one of their fellows even in the mildest way (even if it's only imagined!). Also the older hands take the younger ones under their "wings" so to speak and show them the ropes so they can have a successful career in construction. Gee whizz, i sure wish the aviation biz was like that....... (zzzzz..... zzzzzz..... OH, what! It's morning already? Yawn.... time to get up!) Lots of LOL, Just kidding Grasshopper! :)

You are right of course that we have to get used to it or should be or we will be continually disappointed by the shortcomings of our fellow man (or woman). One of the little jokes i made above underscores my naivety when i first got in to the business, that is that the older hands would help the newer ones but boy was i mistaken, they are the worst ones by far when it comes to undermining your credibility with the boss (to stop you from getting work that they might do). Yes it is as someone said a while back in another thread, in this business we eat our young! I find it very hard though to take a shine to most who come through the door, guess i am a bit worn down by all the BS so i just go about doing my thing and let the new guys figure things out for themselves. Very few of them are genuinely nice people...

_________, good for you for walking away from a bad deal, that is the first lesson you have to learn in any business, look out for yourself!

Icewind, i made a comment about having two forums earlier as well, one where you were anonymous and the other were you signed your real name but even here i had some "upstanding person" looking up the IP address of my different posts and because they were different accuse me of having more than one identity on here (Hey buddy, did you think that one through? LOL). You can bet that "creepy guy" would be going to the two forums and comparing addresses and figuring out who was who. No thanks....

Signed: The anonymous and mysterious...... (wait for it....!) Whitestone.

PS a huge hello to "Molly" AND Molly, :) Do have a great day!

• Like 2

... the older hands would help the newer ones but boy was i mistaken, they are the worst ones by far when it comes to undermining your credibility with the boss (to stop you from getting work that they might do). Yes it is as someone said a while back in another thread, in this business we eat our young!

I hear that a lot, Whitestone, yet I've encountered far less of it than many on here suggest. Back in the day I saw lots of great mentoring in companies like VIH, Okanagan, Shirley and others, then, more recently in Yellowhead, Highland and, not too long ago, Delta and Great Slave.

Yes there were often some pretty sharp knives flashing around but, as someone is reputed to have immortalized, "I was looking for a job when I got this one."

As you suggest, the attitude many neophytes bring to the job is often poor or thinly-disguised, and these guys generally reap what they sow.

And we surely do reap what we sow, as so many find out to their chagrin and everlasting sorrow. B)