Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

App For Robinson R22 | R44 Pilots

Whats the point?? It would take more time to get my phone out of my pocket, open the app and put in the info than it takes tilt my head back slightly and look at the placard... maybe I'm missing something here?

Thats my point as well, if you add HOGE and HIGE and maybe some other features it would be worth buying. If all the app does is your MP Chart, its faster to look at the placard.

• Like 1

Whats the point?? It would take more time to get my phone out of my pocket, open the app and put in the info than it takes tilt my head back slightly and look at the placard... maybe I'm missing something here?

I for one, have a hard time reading it over my head (I'm tall) and have to pull out the POH every time I need the info. iPad is on my knee and easy to use and read.

• Like 1

I see a seriously negative trend in people relying too much on technology to get them through the day, rather then learning on how to fly the darn thing. Yes technology has it's place. GPS/TCAS/Satellite tracking all is a godsend and improved safety/efficiency.

An app that takes a student/pilots head out of the POH and into a phone, takes them away from learning to understand the relationship DA/PA has everything you do in an A/C, and that will carry over you go onto to bigger more complex A/C. After a few years of flying, and diligently looking up DA's, limits, etc, everyday, it becomes second nature, and a very important step in understanding the limits your A/C has. An app spitting out a number is not learning.

no offense skinveen, but I'm not sure an IPad on your lap is an approved mount for a PED...

• Like 2

dontcha just love how the rep system works around here? LOL

he stated 3 facts

he's tall

he has trouble reading above his head

an Ipad sits comfortably on his knee and he can read it

other than that, he said nothing controversial or incorrect. Simple facts about his situation. and some meatheads slap him with some neg reps. no wonder new people avoid this place like the plague.

Again the management should revamp their system for the bloody obvious. The rep system is BS.

other sites have the "Thank User for a Useful Post" function, thats the way to go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello together

The mail below was sent to me...

Hello,

I am a writer for Rotorcraft Pro Magazine in the United States and am

writing an article about companies that use Ipad/ Iphone applications in

their day to day operations. Are you familiar with any companies (preferably

in the US) that use your R22/R44 app or any of your other (helicopter

related) applications that may be interested in some free press? The format

is

Company name

Application used (and platform)

Brief description of use

A screenshot

Helicopter flying 101...Know your numbers. If not, then know where to find it...fast. Goes for any machine. In this case the table is very easy to memorize. And don't forget to pre-flight/plan your trip....if you start at 3000 ft at 20c and you are landing at 8000 ft you should already have an idea of what you can do. But since it is a piston driven machine, you may have more..or alot less than what the chart says. Power Management is the key, as always.

If you are making an approach and the horn goes off, I would hate for your first reaction to be to reach for your unapproved "APP".

I personally would photo-copy the chart and place it where I can see it. I've done it, and not ashamed to say it, or do it again.

Fly safe

• Like 2

Helicopter flying 101...Know your numbers. If not, then know where to find it...fast. Goes for any machine. In this case the table is very easy to memorize. And don't forget to pre-flight/plan your trip....if you start at 3000 ft at 20c and you are landing at 8000 ft you should already have an idea of what you can do. But since it is a piston driven machine, you may have more..or alot less than what the chart says. Power Management is the key, as always.

If you are making an approach and the horn goes off, I would hate for your first reaction to be to reach for your unapproved "APP".

I personally would photo-copy the chart and place it where I can see it. I've done it, and not ashamed to say it, or do it again.

Fly safe

What do you mean "the table is very easy to memorize"? There is so many variants in there that would require a lot of work to memorize. Thats why there is an overhead chart posted. Obviously you found it not that "easy" to memorize since you made copies and placed them where you could see them....Why would a piston driven machine have "more ...or a lot less than what the chart says" ?