Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

R44

Dan

Is there an operator/ Pilot out there that has experience with operating 44's in Winter?

Is there special procedures different than operating a Turbine? Looking for any infor good or bad. eg., inside windows frost up, will not start after cold soaked....

Dan

Car heaters, lots of them. one up the back set it on the muffler point towards the drive belt, next one on the battery box for the engine compartment, next one on the upper transmission deck pointed forward. make sure none are close to ducting or wires, lastly one on the inside to keep the windows clear. The most important one is the one you will place on the muffler so as to keep the "belt" warm, if it is allowed to get cold it will be the cause of frustration (although you might be able to get it started without, it is easier tohave this one), as the belt will become hard and hold the oblong shape requiring much more power to turn the engine over. there is also some tricks to keep the clutch from engaging to quickly, but those I won't advertise if you require that PM me. hope it works for you and you won't have to do too much cold weather work!! :up:

Worked with R44's in the cold with no issues.

TANIS heater pads for the stove, MGB, TGB and a battery blanket (all on one plug). One "Little Buddy" heater at night in the engine compartment sitting on the battery box blowing foward near the magnetos and a full body cover(has a flap that velcro's together and seals the bottom of the engine compartment), main & tail rotor blade covers from Heli-Covers Canada (made in Whitecourt AB) to keep to heat in and the snow off. If there was enough power, I would plug in two "little buddy" heaters and one would go in the cabin at night.

During the day the pilots would carry a 200 foot extention cord under one seat and plug the TANIS heater into any gas shack or camp they worked by and it kept it warm enough to leave it for an hour or two. One pilot carried a 600 watt inverter and plugged it into the power sockets of vehicles running all day on the various job sites. It seemed to work fine for him.

If the aircraft gets cold soaked you will have to use a herman but it only happened to me a few times when the camp power went out over night.

;)

The R44s are great in the winter cause those are simple engines,All I used to do is put one heater on the trans deck, one on the pilots side in the front pointing at the batterie witch in some R44s is under the instruments in the nose. then about two hrs before my flight I would start the herman and use two lenghts of hose (less chance of spark) and throw it under the exhaust pipe pointing forward and it would Heat the hole machine up no problem.Even when you go to start and its trying to stall when you engage your clutch just pop the breaker in out in out every 5 secs or so and let it wind up slow or everybody thats watching will laugh at you when you stall it a dozen times before its finally going. Also forgot to mention that the machine I had also was completely covered as mentioned above.IE helicovers canada B)

Thanks, everyone for your input.

Sounds like it's more work than operating a 206 in the winter. So in your opinion if a R44 is left out for 1 hour at -15 C, there is a good chance she won't start and you willl be spending the night outside?

With all the heaters and covers, is there still room for you????lol