Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Dyna Nav Or Kodiak

For all the Seismic guys in the crowd which do you prefer  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ah yes I remember the Puck one they were actually thinking of putting a Microchip in the puck that would be scanned and transmitted to the Dyna-Nav when you picked it up....way to complicated for me, as I have always said the easiest way for seismic companies to save money on Heli time and stop from losing gear is to hire good coordinators and pay them the same if not more than the Party Manager(cause a good one is worth it)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as far as dynanav vs kodiak, i'll start with the bad first. my major comcern is you end up flying the computer first and the load/machine last. i know what you guys are going to say 'always fly the machine!'. you know it's true. i'm surprised that neither one has killed anyone yet.

the good is that with telemetry there is so much less radio chatter and no coordinators expecting you to write down or memorize the next pick 2 lines over and 30 stations down line when you are picking a bag that's under a tree.

well, depending on where the screen is placed you have a couple of options from what i have seen in the machines that i have done seismic with. in the 350 it may be placed on the little strut that goes from the right side of the instrument panel to the door post thus blocking most of the view through the chin window and the bottom part of the windsheild or in the 500 a strut had been added that went from the door post just above the fire extinguisher across to the instrument panel, which results in a blocked area of forward vis. not a big deal in the 500, though as the vis is so good and you can stick yer noggin either out the door or in the bubble window. either way all options require you to stop looking outside and refocus on a screen and vice versa. the dynanav is especially bad as the screen is of low quality that a lit match would produce enough glare to make the info all but invisible which then requires a large sunscreen which blocks even more of your forward vis. in answer to the original question i would have to say kodiak because the screen is easier to see and much clearer. my kodiak experience is limited but i have used the dyananv lot's and i think it is a menace.

ryan, these are bag dropping systems that allow for deploying and retreival of bags (among other things in the case of the kodiak) based on gps coords. for use during seismic. (in a very small nutshell)

Guest Angry Egg Driver

I don't know if this will work but here goes.The displays are actually a lot better than they used to be.You very rarely have a hard time seeing the screen,even in bright sunlight.(DYNA-NAV)

I think the dyna nav is the best invention for seismic since the carousel.

It makes your job easier, thus safer in my opinion.

Reg, the guy who builds them is always improving and updating the software and hardware so it's likely that if you haven't used one in a while they are much better now.

Oh how I wished I had a dyna nav when I was hovering over that Texas Oak jungle looking for holes in the canopy where there might be a Mexican machete trail and a piece of flagging...

As for the Kodiak, I have never used one so I can't really offer an opinion.

:up: