Dyna Nav Or Kodiak

For all the Seismic guys in the crowd which do you prefer  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as i said, it depends on the situation, but most of my recent seismic has been done with a B2. i am no seis-god, i've seen lots of guys who are faster than i but i would say that on most of the jobs that i end up on the client expects bag counts of 25 and up.

Well shag, that about wraped up that one man thanks for the info. Now I just gotta get on with a company that uses these wonderfull devices that were brought to us by the seismic gods and will be on easy street. Either know the jobs we do....do in the old ways are alot of fun just you don't get any of the larger ones anymore. Always seem to be around the 800-2000 chanel mark or 2d wich if you got a lot of clicks to do start to add up but their no brainers.

Anybody here swinging bags with 407s? If so do you have astar time to, how do they rack up against each other? It looks to me like the combo of power+good vis=happy pilot, what are your thoughts?

OK today, on final pickup with a bagrunner, combination of hand cut in the bush and farm fields, good access and dropping bags at caches, average distance about 4 Km, this is how my day went, keeping in mind every job is different.

these were my flights for the day.

-65 min-pick up 37 bags=35 bags/hr

-69 min-pick up 36 bags=31 bags/hr

-57 min-pick up 28 bags=29 bags/hr

-83 min-pick up 30 bags=22 bags/hr

-75 min-pick up 31 bags=24 bags/hr

As you can see the times change during the day mostly due to distance, and every job is different so its impossible to say what it should take. This job is ideal and on final pickup you can often pick up across lines or pretty much just grab whatever works the best. I've seen from 14 bags/ hr to 30 bags/ hr on the same job there is so many variables. The biggest thing is that you don't keep the crew waiting witch is generally not a problem. Seismic flying is 80% customer relations and 20% long line flying.

Yes bags per hour is not a tru comparison...every job is different. I have moved 90 bags per hour with a 500 and hauling racks of 12 with a B2 only been able to move 8 bags per hour. Apples to apples. And some seismic companies are more organized than others. All depends on how far u gotta go!

A long time ago, with a seismic company far far away, I could only move 5 racks at a time and then shut down...had to wait for the bags to be emptied on line and returned to staging to be repacked before I could fly again...unfrickin' believable!!! :o

looks like you had a pretty good day LL Slave.

i did say that it varied from job to job and i have seen my counts goas low a 12 per hour. it does depend on many things but my experience in alberta, on the average size job, the PM's are looking for higher than that. 90 bags is a **** of a lot, but maybe it wasn't far from p/u to l/o or perhaps you were on initial layout, right beside staging, or you were flying bags through a mini staging with a crew that was especially organised. it all depends.

It does not matter what the PM's looking for, just be very accurate on your documentation with regards to the flight report and specifics. If u r constantly running out trouble shooting bags, then put down 0.6 hrs "trouble shooting bags" . Then when he asks what its all about say that u had to take 3 t/s bags out because bags went out on line with no batteries / boxes / etc. (in other words - staging problem) then watch it all get rectified. I used to write down on the report how many bag runners, on foot or quad, wind, wx etc. 4 bag runners on quads is going to be a lot faster than 3 guys on foot...remember the map is flat in the calgary office. So a month down the road if someone in YYC starts bitching u have some documentation.

It only takes 20 to 30 seconds for most helicopters to travel 400m...all the rest is up to pilot and seismic crew organization and communication.

There are many feller's out there (and that frequent this forum) that I have worked with - moving a bag a minute was the norm for them!

Well lets see... Today I moved mmmm... Zero bags and I flew zero hours, so how many bags per hour is that? I did watch 1 movie in my truck and it took two hours so I guess thats half a movie per hour.

Oh ya and I could see about 500 feet in ice fog too. :blink:

When I grow up I wanna move bags and drink beer like LL slave, or at least half of what he can do would still make me a heRo... hehehe. :up:

p.s. I wouldn't really want to drink as much beer as he does, that would be bad for my liver... :wacko: