Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Paper Map Versus Gps

Funny about the terms map/chart.

I always used to teach my student that it is called a CHART, however EVERYONE i hang with calls it a map, so now it has become one in my vocabulary too...

In the US they call them Sectionals, and anyone in aviation knows what you are talking about then.

Also in the US, that I wish was here in Canada is the rule that you have CURRENT charts and pubs...

Here that is not the law unless you fly IFR. Thus you can find machines with charts and CFS' OUTDATED by YEARS and in some cases DECADES!

But since the CAR's only require a chart and a cfs to be onboard, nobody has a current one it seems.

Cheers

H.

sorry, didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

No worries Sirlandsalot, no feelings hurt. As i have said before i have big shoulders both literally and figuratively. Also a basic understanding of Psychology (you can call me The Professor if you like...) gives me a pretty good understanding of how and why people behave the way they do, the motives for their actions. Basically that people act like jerks because hey lack confidence, are jealous of others and/or feel threatened. I was just hoping to get people to exchange information, ideas and experiences about navigation. This forum has dried up in the past few years, many of the more experienced members who used to contribute have disappeared taking with them all their knowledge and it's nice to have a few still contributing. I know that the sharing of ideas and knowledge is counter to the "pilot culture" of not helping someone else out, because helping someone seems or feels like you are giving them a leg up and taking money out of your own pocket.

• Like 2