Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ipads In The Cockpit

Thank Phil.It is free, and free is a good price.If you like/want/need that type of mapping, I have Topo Maps. It cost 7 bucks but is optimized for the iPad size screen and does lots of stuff like waypoints , name search, tracks.

I was on a search in the mountains north of Mission, BC last year. Searched Topo Maps for the location of a small stream were the person was supposed to be. Topo Maps took me to the stream and then I could do a contour crawl up the side hills. Best $7 is spent.

Admittedly, the second $3 Starbucks grande before leaving was a tactical error.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Until Nav Canada wake up and offer VNC maps in digital form, I use this app:

Topo Maps: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/topo-maps/id306014271?mt=8

It permits you to download maps onto the device (iPAd or iPhone) and then can use the GPS even with no Cell Phone (3G) coverage to see where you are in those remote parts of the Canada that the US sectional charts don't quite reach.

For those of you flying in the southern part of Canada, SkyCharts app is very good: http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/skychartspro/id364731059?mt=8

Also permits you to download the US sectional charts onto the device so you can use the apps even with no cell phone (3G) coverage.

I am for sure getting one of those!!

So... Do you need the 3G or is wifi enough?

Cheers

H.

You need to buy the iPad 3G model if you want a GPS because it has a real GPS built into it, but you don't need to sign up for 3G service if you don't want to because the GPS function works without it.

You need to buy the iPad 3G model if you want a GPS because it has a real GPS built into it, but you don't need to sign up for 3G service if you don't want to because the GPS function works without it.

If you buy a bad elf that just plugs into the ipad,iphone or ipod you have GPS with no data charges. Kind of handy since most places I go never find cell service.