Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Light Icing

A.O.G

Hey guys,

I know that as helicopter pilots we often work in a very small area often far from weather reporting stations but i've never seen anything in the CAR's that excludes us from the following.

------------------------

CAR's

605.30 No person shall conduct a take-off or continue a flight in an aircraft where icing conditions are reported to exist or are forecast :shock: to be encountered along the route of flight unless

(a) the pilot-in-command determines that the aircraft is adequately equipped to operate in icing conditions in accordance with the standards of airworthiness under which the type certificate for that aircraft was issued; or

(b.) current weather reports or pilot reports indicate that icing conditions no longer exist.

------------------------

I'm quite sure that the very broad and often useless GFA can and will be used against us in a court of law. With today's technology there is no excuse for not having access to the latest weather. Granted, it may not be accurate. :blink:

Just another view point.

Excellent thread by the way - good job guys.

Later,

ttf B)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most interesting places to get iced up was put to me by KO who on a clear day in Banff park iced up at 9000', in a Longdog. Very strange, have yet to have a descent explanation to it, something to do with RH, temperature and aiflow obviously but? Not questioning that it happened, from the tone of his voice it did but just how, am still confus ed.

:mellow: Yes VR have iced up on more than one occasion, but the most common was in flat lands colder weather with what looked like virga but actually freezing drizzle/rain. And yes had to land/180, or change direction more than a few times. In the mountains have a lot less problems with icing. And you know a cassette tape case works well to scrape off the blades. Yes, has been awhile, BCD's(that is before cd's) . Now I check the weather better and really try to avoid any potential problems.

Agree there ttf will all you said, :up: and I have found that due to the remoteness of which we work that many pilots do use the rule of "look outside" and do the weather check. Sometimes there is no choice but I still like to check the forcasts to see in anything major coming my way even though they may no be weather recording stations near.

sc

I think that the biggest thing to remember here guys and gals is that icing is very unpredictable, flying around in any kind of icing is asking for trouble. I've seen it build up very fast on the T/R while there was non on the M/R or fuselage as well as many other combinations and it never seemed to follow any ryme or reason. I always play it safe when it comes to icing, just to many problems that I dont have any control over.

My two cents worth.

H