A Little Help With A Company Name?

tDawe

Requirements for an ATPL from the AIP are below.

LICENCE TYPE: Airline Transport Pilot (ATPL) – Helicopter

MEDICAL CATEGORY: 1

VALIDITY PERIOD (over 40): 12 months (6 months)

KNOWLEDGE: HAMRA 70% & HARON 70%

SKILL: flight test/PPC on two-crew helicopter

EXPERIENCE (minimum):

Total: 1000

Total Helicopter: 600

PIC*: 250

Xctry**: 200

IFR***: 30

Night: 50

Night helicopter: 15

* may include 150 hrs copilot under supervision

** 100 hrs must be PIC

*** max 10 hrs in simulator and 15 hrs in aeroplanes

I think most ppl get the Class IV on a BH06 or RH22 etc...

They then complete an IFR PPC on a two crew helicopter. Then you could apply for a restricted ATPL unless you already have sufficient experience, mainly the 50 hours night which is hard to come by in the VFR helicopter world.

My guess is that only the PIC is required to have an ATPL although both pilots must have night, IFR and obviously a PPC on type.

Fly safe,

ttf

At one time the Night Rating was required, but it was kinda "moot" because the requirements that you had to have before you could even get a R/W endorsement was 250hrs F/W. Then they instituted the 100hr courses right from the street (about '66-'67) and everything started to change because ab initios to the R/W world were starting with no experience at all in those cases. They had to throw in something to make up for that and thus the start of the changes there, plus more. That's why the majority of the older crowd came from a F/W background and in some cases, a fairly sophisticated background and didn't need all that experince night-wise because it was a "given" that they had it. It was also extremely hard, if not impossible to obtain work in the F/W world if your license was stamped for "DAY VFR ONLY".

Quick and dirty answer...

For an IFR EMS operation on a 2 crew A/C, the PIC must have an ATPL(H) and a valid instrument Rating. The Co-Jo needs to have either written the HAMRA & HARON exams or, at a minimum written the HAMRON (combo exam expressly for co-pilots on 2 crew machines that don't meet the qualifications to write the HAMRA/HARON exams) and hold a valid night and Instrument Rating.

For VFR operations on a 2 crew machine, PIC needs ATPL(H) and Co-Jo needs to have written afore-mentioned exams to get PPC'ed. If flying at night, all require valid IFR ratings.

Regardless of the what the rules state, my personal belief is that both pilots should be fully IFR certified. If something should happen to either one, then the other, having that full IFR Rating, becomes vitally important. To look at it as though the FO is there just to lessen the supposed workload on the flightdeck is "selling the postion short" because he might just have to do more that "assist" the Captain......he might turn into the Captain and have to do it all by himself. Just my opinion and I have no doubt that others would not agree totally....or at all. All mine was done eons ago in the F/W world and I bring those attitudes to the table when discussing the subject.