Going Ballistic

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bullet Remington

And you drivers wonder why us wrench benders get so bent outa shape when you feck up our machines??

I have a stong Disdain for any Hot-Dogger, who flys one of my machines outside the envelope. I''m the SOB that gotta get it through the contract and get us home!! A little respect for the machine, me and above all, the owner/ customer would be definitely be preshaded!

Somebody''s due for a pee pee whackin with a 15" cresent!

Limme ad em, limme ad em!!

The picture is great and many comments are right, if the guy is hot dogging then it''s just plain stupid.

The aircraft though is capable of this with the right handling and matching pilot skills. I personally would love to see more helos do this on the airshow circuit.

If this guy was a factory demonstration pilot then he very likely flew the aircraft well within her "envelope". There is a difference between hot-dogging when you are a legend in your own mind and flying an aircraft such as this within limitations.

Impressive maneuvres are not bad for the airframe when properly executed with an aviator skilled enough and knowledgeable enough to do them. What young aviators need to know when they see photos like this is the context of it all, this is not what you do with 350 hours in your logbook to impress your friends with your employers'' helo.

It may very well be something you do at the Paris airshow to sell the machine to perspective clients when you are the factory demo pilot with 10,000 hours in your logbook.

I have a photo I cannot link but I will post it in the foreing military section of the photos on this site. You will see an aviator from the British Army Air Corp putting his Lynx through her paces, very impressive and something you only do with the right machine, skills and circustances. I''ll title it, Going Ballistic Too, the file is titled "Lynx diving".

Make the hotdog clean up the mess left behind after a stunt like that.  14.gif That sometimes will cure the guy.  2.gif9.gif  Sometimes the customer talks bigger than his stomach.

When guys ask me now to do a 'hammerhead', I ask them why they want me to do a shark.  2.gif9.gif

Cheers

p.s. Heli-Ops pm sent back at ya. 

407driver - you are absolutely correct about the limitations in the flight manual and I stand corrected. At no time am I recommending those limitations be exceeded especially when I do not know what limitations exist on this aircraft type.

Once again I am merely stating that sometimes an aircraft is capable of doing more than most of us average drivers should ever do with one or would ever want to. Case and point, I've seen Bob Hoover do things in a turbo Commander that I don't think anyone in the world has ever duplicated or would want to yet I know he never exceeded the aircraft limits.

Having said all that, what limitation would this A Star pilot have exceeded? Is there a bank, pitch limit on the aircraft or is it a matter of G limits? Just curious, our Sea Kings have a 30 degrees of bank limit. It is there because of our radar. Anyone know of bank limitations on S-61s in civilian attire?