Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Going Ballistic

AFCS, what the heck is that? Just kidding, I''m really just envious, we have nothing like it in the old Sea King. We do have the ASE system, sort of close to AFCS but I think you guys have a more sophiticated version that can couple to an autopilot, yes?

All we have is a barimetric altitude hold and a coupler which will fly from a gate of 150 feet/60 grouns speed to a hover at 40 feet. Now how it gets there is sometimes a real eye opener but it usually works not too bad.

So AFCS couple to george, geeeesh I wish.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, the aircraft in question was actually in South Africa and I was standing on the side of an escarpment with a drop down of over 2500 feet. Johann started about two miles away at the bottom and built up a good head of speed heading for the rock face and then pulled up into the vertical.

This was followed by a hammerhead turn and then straight back down the other way. If someone can give me somewhere to host the other shots in that sequence I will send them to them as I dont have them on the web to link to.

I have one shot of the B3 completely upside down but would rather not show that one, but it looks mindblowing. I discussed this with Johann after the photo shoot and he was quite happy with the manouvers he did. He has been flying AS350s from the B model all the way through to the B3 and does a lot of test flying for Eurocopter in South Africa and he really does know what he is doing. I am not saying it is a good example for younger pilots to try and follow, but this was a specific shot I wanted to get and we had two of the most experienced pilots around flying both machines.

I asked Johann if he minded me showing off these images and he was completely OK with it and thats the only reason I posted them. Over the years I have shot many images which, if seen in public, could have pilots lose their cojones over. Its about discretion and in many cases we do specific shots but only for the pilots own "I Love Me Wall" at home.

Heli Ops

Well, you must admit, although we can pretty much agree its unprofessional, none to bright, contrevenes the AFM, and no doubt spilt his coffea, it is a rather incredible shot, one I'm sure all of us would have love to have been apart of. Being young and impressionable, that's how I felt so I went out and gave it a go.

Whaaddyathink?

http://www.caaviation.com/gallery/display1...sid=132&tree=13

(The photo gallery here, Web Funnies, and no, its not real)