Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Convert .Kmz Files To .Gdb

What are you using to convert Google Earth .kmz files to Garmin .gdb files so you can use them on your Garmin device? I have tried to use the free GPSbabel but it has not recognized the files or when i open the folder it is in it says it is empty, it does not seem to be able to 'see" the file i am trying to load. I am perplexed... Does anyone have any answers for this or a different program to use? I have searched key words on the forum and have not come up with anything.

Thanks

Whitestone.

I've been doing this kind of experimenting for the past couple of years. For a small investment in $ I'd suggest a program MapWell: http://www.mapwel.net/

On the free side of things, check out MapEdit++ combined with another free/open source tool called cGPSMapper. I use these two primarily, but I am also writing some of my own code to get the datapoints I want into the required format for these tools (.MP - called reverse Polish Notation).

http://gmeaddons.sourceforge.net/

http://cgpsmapper.com/

Also look into OziExplorer and some of the more expensive GIS programs out there.

Post back here or send me a PM if you have further questions.

What are you using to convert Google Earth .kmz files to Garmin .gdb files so you can use them on your Garmin device? I have tried to use the free GPSbabel but it has not recognized the files or when i open the folder it is in it says it is empty, it does not seem to be able to 'see" the file i am trying to load. I am perplexed... Does anyone have any answers for this or a different program to use? I have searched key words on the forum and have not come up with anything.

Thanks

Whitestone.

I think this might help - you have to change the .kmz to a .kml file for GPSBabel. .kmz is a compressed file format, and can easily be uncompressed by simply changing the filename's .kmz extension to .kml. Worked for me... Good luck.

• Like 2

Well here's how things are going so far. I create a track in Google Earth and save it as a .kml (NOT .kmz) file. Then i email it to myself and download it to my "downloads" file and open it with WINrar. WINrar opens the .kml and extracts it as a doc. file and i can put it where ever, my Desktop, in Documents, or Downloads which i did. Now i open GPSbabel and entered the KML format on top and then found the file, which i clicked on and opened and it installed it in the window on GPSbabel. Then i hit "file name" (and name it) and save as type (.gdb) and at the bottom hit apply. I have not tried to add the file directly as an "import" without using WINrar, not sure if it would work. Logic would dictate that because the .kmz is the "container" file and if i emailed it as a .kml file (kmz is a "zip" file if you will, of .kml if i understand it correctly?) it should open with out being "un-archived".

So i managed to do this twice at first where in the end i got the Garmin converted data to my Garmin file (Mapsource) and was able to open the file and view the track in Mapsource, but that was it. I could not do it again. GPSbabel seems to "loose" the files, creating a "ghost" Mapsource shortcut instead of a Mapsource data file and a search of "My Computer" came up empty for the converted file so i was stuck at this point.

When i did a search it came up with the results for all .gdb files and the "ghost" shortcuts" too.

A dialogue box appeared and said:: "Problem with shortcut"

The item 'xxxxxx .gdb' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly.

Nearest match based on size, type [etc]. is: xxxzzz.gdb

Do you want to fix this target to point to this shortcut or do you just want to delete it?

[then underneath it has "choice boxes", it says: ]

"Fix it" "Delete it" "Cancel"

I chose to "Fix it" and immediately Mapsource opened and showed the track. BUT when i went to close it, it just closed, no prompt box that asked if i wanted to save it as it usually does. So back to the "ghost shortcut" which now seems to work and open the (defective?) Mapsource with the file(?)/track in/on it but again when i went to close it no prompt box so i went back and opened the now working shortcut to the semi-working Mapsource again and when Mapsource opened i "copied" the track and opened a new Mapsource page from my toolbar icon and "pasted" the track to the new page. Well there it was and i could look at it and do all the Mapsourcey things to it and when i went to close it and opened Mapsource again and opened its file it was still there and i could rename it and open it and close it and open it again. I have been looking at this for so many hours now i am not sure i am thinking straight anymore but there you have it. Sigh......

So i have it kind of working, not perfect but i can transfer the data. Now all it needs is a field test. Thanks to all who posted advice or links. If anyone has anything to add. please do.

W

• Like 2

Hi Whitestone,

The steps you outline for making this work for you stress me out just having to read them :)

I strongly suggest you spend 45 to 90 bucks on Mapwel http://www.mapwel.net/manual/0575export.htm

It will do all the above for you, including uploading to your GPS in MANY fewer steps. It is about the easiest and cheapest of the tools to do what you are looking for.

I do using free tools, but the steps required are more elaborate than what you described above.

Let me know how it works out for you.

O.

I then have to hold Alt + F7, while I rotate my computer monitor 90 degrees clockwise and turn the gamma all the way down.

Make sure the external speakers are on mute, but you have to use the taskbar controls for this, not the actual speaker buttons.

After this, say "Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice" and throw a handful of salt over your LEFT shoulder...

:shock:

You have far more patience than I do, friend.

• Like 1