Weight And Balance Log Entry For Door Removal?

Just received this from our head office:

"We have recently been informed that a weight and balance addendum for flights with doors off is mandatory. Until the addendums are received and on board the aircraft, FLIGHTS WITH DOORS OFF ARE NOT PERMITTED. We will be making the Addendums up and will forward them to you promptly. Once you have the Addendum, you may remove your door as long as an appropriate entry is made."

ie. “Pilot door removed for operational convenience. Weight and Balance Addendum #........ now in effect with and empty weight of …………lbs at …………..inches aft of the datum.” Then you must sign your entry.

I think that moving my thermos and lunch box from the cockpit to the hat rack would have a bigger impact to the weight and balance. What if one were to put the door in the backseat when it was removed? A second entry? We're talking about Bell light and intermediates here and I'm a bit puzzled. Is this a standard that I've been missing up until now (whoops) or is this new?

Well, I guess I stepped in it a bit on this topic. Got around to looking up the FM's too but this was the first time anyone told me not to take the door off without a log entry. I was aware of the basket and dual control entries. I was curious as it has definitely not been the practice at a few companies (that I'm familiar with, anyway). Good to see that this outfit is trying to keep their i's and t's in proper order. Thanks for the input everyone.

To be entirely accurate, this applies to having normal door(s) removed, or sliding door(s) open in flight,

BUT

ONLY if the Aircraft is PRE MOD 073166.

Which is showing by the SIM to have been embodied in both the B2 and B3. However I think the FM still says any unused seat cushions are to be removed.

Just received this from our head office:

"We have recently been informed that a weight and balance addendum for flights with doors off is mandatory. Until the addendums are received and on board the aircraft, FLIGHTS WITH DOORS OFF ARE NOT PERMITTED. We will be making the Addendums up and will forward them to you promptly. Once you have the Addendum, you may remove your door as long as an appropriate entry is made."

ie. “Pilot door removed for operational convenience. Weight and Balance Addendum #........ now in effect with and empty weight of …………lbs at …………..inches aft of the datum.” Then you must sign your entry.

I think that moving my thermos and lunch box from the cockpit to the hat rack would have a bigger impact to the weight and balance. What if one were to put the door in the backseat when it was removed? A second entry? We're talking about Bell light and intermediates here and I'm a bit puzzled. Is this a standard that I've been missing up until now (whoops) or is this new?

This is obviously a company directive and should be regarded as such, however if the need arised to remove your door before you have received the addendum, you should run the option by them of doing a temp W&B amendment (if you have an engineer available). That would also satisfy the intent of what they are trying to accomplish.

Which is showing by the SIM to have been embodied in both the B2 and B3. However I think the FM still says any unused seat cushions are to be removed.

The document in question was the AD.

FYI: The SIM shows an X in the B2 and B3 column. This denotes that the modification was introduced after certification, meaning not all s/n's will have the modification. This modification was intoduced somewhat recently meaning most aircraft in Canada will not have it embodied.

This is obviously a company directive and should be regarded as such, however if the need arised to remove your door before you have received the addendum, you should run the option by them of doing a temp W&B amendment (if you have an engineer available). That would also satisfy the intent of what they are trying to accomplish.

I could be mistaken but I believe a temporary weight and balance is a provision in Car's for an item to be repaired or to facilitate a repair.