Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Red Eagle Aviation

blueoval56

Hi everbody,

I`m a fixed wing CPL guy and I`m looking to do my rotory license and I was wondering if anyone here has trained with Red Eagle in springbank?

I checked out all the schools in springbank(they all look great) and Red Eagle has the lowest prices by FAR. They are an american FAA school running in Canada which is apparently why the costs are so much lower. They have one 300 CBI and one instructor. I talked to him for a bit and went for a 30 minute discovery flight and he seemed to know what he was doing. Not that I know much about helicopters.

Am I crazy to think about training here? Should I pay up for one of the more expensive and `well known`` schools? IE, LR helicopters or MVH.

The catch is that when I`m done, I have to drive down to Kalispel MT and do my flight test and written test down there and recieve a FAA license. Then come back to canada and get the canadian license.

If I do this I save $9000....

Thoughts?

The instructor told me that they have a TC flight examiner that would allow me to challenge the canadian flight test when I am finished on the 300cbi that they operate in CYBW. There are definitely a few hoops to jump through, but he outlined the whole process. I`m wondering if I should just bite the bullet and go out to Chinook or BC helicopters for a couple months. I really want to train on a 47 or a 300.

Hi,

I'm almost done with my helicopter training with them. I live in Saskatchewan and my trips to Calgary were the same in distance as a trip to Kalispell for me, except for fuel price, hotel prices, food prices and flying in Kalispell is a lot cheaper than Calgary ($245/hour) no tax in Montana also, so I did the first 20 hours in Calgary with Jim Bulera and the other 23 hours in Kalispell, did my solo hours, solo cross country and I'll be doing my check ride on August.

I've never flown with the new instructor in Calgary, but I've flown with three different instructors and they're all great. No other school in Canada will even be close to the price that they have.

I can recommend that you fly with them.

Thanks for the link change1211, that was an eye-opening read. I think I'll stick to good 'ol homegrown Canadian. Now that I've read that, the extra money seems well worth it's weight in gold for the proper intruction.

To everyone else, I appologize for resurecting a touchy subject.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...