Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Red Eagle Aviation

blueoval56

I'm not so sure about the cost saving since in the U.S you need 150h TT to be eligible for flight test...

But, if u can get both liscence for the same price , it is in deed a big big plus for your career later on..

Go with ur own feelings and trace ur own paterns ... Remember one thing, what u fly, where u flew and who gave u the liscence doesn't really count at the end..(Cause after a year on the groud whiping the floor wou'll forget everything...Almost) The only thing that count is attitude where and when u will land the first job..

Best of luck..

You guys make me laugh, how you say "we can't let this happen" and "line in the sand" and what ever rhetoric was spouted when this school from the states opened up in Springbank. It's not about it not being Canadian and it's not about the quality of the instruction, it's about slicing up the pie $$$$$. If schools really gave a "dam" about the students they would tell them what the industry is really like! (I'm still waiting for "all those guys" to retire... or "now is the best time to train, you'll get out just in time for the up-swing" or better yet, "all or students last year got hired" [but the eager students don't ask doing what! lol])

Being loyal to Canadians, is that what being a Canadian school is all about? Seems most schools don't loose any sleep taking money from our Southern hemisphere cousins for a Canadian licence conversion. Oh Canada, our home and native land.... LOL (roll eyes!)

I find it funny why people think it is a school's job to find a student a job. The helicopter industry is unique this way. How many of my friends that went to university had their university find them a job?.....none. So why is aviation suppose to be any different?

Honestly, I feel like I got an easy ride because Mountain View did find me a job.....what a bonus! Never seen that before!

So many of you have no business sense at all, and don't understand that a business is not a charity for you. If you do not make that business money and do what you can to keep contracts, then how do you expect to get payed? If a business has no work, why do you expect to be payed? However, if that company is making money off my as* I want some of it!

This is the reality of every business in the real world all the way down to retail stores. All I want to work along side with is somebody who does their job well, has a little pride for quality, is happy and easy to work with. If you meet those requirements...I don't care what frick'en country you are from, just get the job done and do it well so we can have the next contract and all make $$$

Imagine a world where a business can decline an income because of personal opinion? like declining southerners a conversion? If business is that easy we should all be in it. It is easy for you people that collect a check, have no responsibility other than to show up for your tour and not bend anything, to judge and criticize business .

A flight school is called a "Flight School", not called a "Flight Employment Office" Maybe that would be a good business for some of you business geniuses to tackle?

• Like 2

Didn't say that it was the schools job to find the student work. For sure it is students responsibility to find out all they can about this market and any really before thumping down the big bucks. Education is an industry just like EMS, seismic or logging, etc. and what they are really interested in is getting your money and how they do this is by selling you their product. What i was eluding to was that if they were honest they would lay out the reality of the job market (pay and the ability of actually getting a job). Instead from most you get a sales pitch.

Canadians work in countries all over the world and i have worked with people from about a dozen or more countries. It's not honest hard working people i have a problem with, in this case it's people who are employed by schools or are loyal to the school they went to who protest the entry of a foreign school but then turn around and do or support the Canadian licence conversions. You are a bunch of hypocrites! Does anyone see the irony in that? More roll eyes!

W

What i was eluding to was that if they were honest they would lay out the reality of the job market (pay and the ability of actually getting a job). Instead from most you get a sales pitch.

Why can't the potential student do this research as well? They can google helicopter operators and get this information directly from the industry they want to join. Schools are there to teach and train to those that want their licence, the ones that try to help their students find employment do so as a added benefit. There are jobs for entry level pilots and the ones that put both the time and effort into it will get these jobs. The ones that sit back and wait for someone to bring the job to them or aren't willing to put some effort into it well they will end up a statistic that doesn't get work. If potential students don't do their due diligence to research potential employment they have no one but themselves to blame....period!

• Like 2

Being a pilot (whether fixed or rotary wing) is a job unlike most. Actually, firefighjting is similar, without the prohibitive cost of training. How many people go through firefighting school and never land a job as a firefighter ? Lots. A good friend of mine went to firefighting school in his mid twenties. He was 36 when he finally landed his first job as a city fireman. Before that, he did all kinds of jobs that gravitate around emergency services. He worked as a 911 dispatcher, he worked as an emergency first responder for his municipality, was finally hired by the city in a fire-prevention project (inspecting smoke detectors in homes and businesses) before finally getting his break.

Its a simple fact that these are very popular professions. There's never a shortage of people who want to either fly or put out fires (and some of us actually get to do both B) ).

Anyone going after a pilot's licence should do his/her research before laying out 50-75 thousand dollars. Schools sell training. The more they sell, the happier they are. Bad schools will lie to get your dollars, but even the very best schools will sugarcoat to a certain extent the difficulties involved with actually getting to a point where you can earn a living flying.

Rule #1: Pick your school yourself. Visit and get a vibe for the place, the machines and the people. Don't trust anything you read here (well almost ;) ).

Rule #2: Don't get into debt to pay for flight school. Go work in the patch or whatever for a couple of years and collect the funds before you train. You won't be able to make payments on a 50k loan on a hangar rat's salary.

Rule #3: Never give up! If you want to fly, you will eventually if you stick to it.

• Like 1

Didn't say that it was the schools job to find the student work. For sure it is students responsibility to find out all they can about this market and any really before thumping down the big bucks. Education is an industry just like EMS, seismic or logging, etc. and what they are really interested in is getting your money and how they do this is by selling you their product. What i was eluding to was that if they were honest they would lay out the reality of the job market (pay and the ability of actually getting a job). Instead from most you get a sales pitch.

Canadians work in countries all over the world and i have worked with people from about a dozen or more countries. It's not honest hard working people i have a problem with, in this case it's people who are employed by schools or are loyal to the school they went to who protest the entry of a foreign school but then turn around and do or support the Canadian licence conversions. You are a bunch of hypocrites! Does anyone see the irony in that? More roll eyes!

W

I see your point. If your going to have a beef with a foreign company taking business/cash from your operation, but have no problem accepting money to convert foreign pilots, that will ultimately water down the job prospects for your own students.

And also the potential income/loss of work of many working pilots.

a bit hypocritical eh?

• Like 1

If you had visited the schools I used to be CFI of, you would have heard that getting that first job is not easy, you have to work HARD at getting it, but also that our parent company was ALWAYS looking for an eager young p;ilot who was willing to do the time.

You will also find that many of the guys DID actually get hired, but also that a lot of the guys did not. Read some of the other posts above and you will see why.

The society today seems to have this "entitlement" thing going, where I DESERVE to get hired. We need to stop that.

Hard work, and ONLY hard work is what gets you your goals in life...

If schools really gave a "dam" about the students they would tell them what the industry is really like!

• Like 3