Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Red Eagle Aviation

blueoval56

Foreign workers are one problem, the other problem is foreign students doing their training in canada and automatically getting a work visa when their training is doneuya. These students generally have parents with deep pockets, and they will work virtually for free. (seems to happening in quebec) They should go home and apply just like any other immigrant. I am sure we have no shortage of low time canadian pilots. just out of flight school.

AMEN !!

BTW , are you J.T ?? ;)

Foreign workers are one problem, the other problem is foreign students doing their training in canada and automatically getting a work visa when their training is done. These students generally have parents with deep pockets, and they will work virtually for free. (seems to happening in quebec) They should go home and apply just like any other immigrant. I am sure we have no shortage of low time canadian pilots. just out of flight school.

Actually, these folks already have a "tourist work visa" good for one year, whch they can extend for an additional year. The problem is reciprocity. There are bilateral agreements among most commonwealth nations, as well as with France, that allow citizens aged under 35 years to obtain one year visas to go visit one of these countries and work there as well. Getting a tourist work visa for Canada is ridiculously easy and can be done in a matter of weeks. The same can't be said for other countries. In some, you have to have already found a job, and can't change jobs without your employer's consent, or you can't keep the same job more than three months, etc. In the end, it's far more difficut for a Canadian to go elsewhere than the other way around. This applies to every trade and profession. As has been said in another thread, complain to your MP...

• 4 weeks later...

Who are you going to convince to do your Canadian conversion once you get your FAA licence? Might be difficult

This is what I have a problem with. First post? Magically in line with your argument? I agree with some of what you say, Mr. White, but I think you may have a touch of schizophrenia.

• 1 month later...

This is what I have a problem with. First post? Magically in line with your argument? I agree with some of what you say, Mr. White, but I think you may have a touch of schizophrenia.

HAHAHAHA, Ya I think this guy should do it as cheep as posible, who cares about quality!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure some of the other instructors (Canadian) here can relate to this. I have had this conversation in the cockpit numerous times with flight instructors (with up to 3500hrs PIC) from the USA coming up to Canada for their conversions:

Me: Ok _________, when we get over the infield, you can show me a full on autorotation to the (spot picked on infield).

Student: Full on? you mean with a power recovery right?

Me: Uh no, I mean full on to the ground....

crickets......

Student: Uh, I have never done one of those...

Me: Never????

Student: Well one, for my instructor flight test.

Me: You mean of all your instruction hours, you guys never did a full on autorotation?

Student: Nope, it wasn't allowed

Me: Well, we are going to do one now...

You get what you pay for in this world. And further to the comments previously made about flight schools. There are bad ones and there are good ones. YOU NEED to go visit them and make an informed decision. If you walk into a flight school and are immediately impressed with what you see, then there is a reason for that. Good schools are successful for a reason. Finally, the comment about them not being Job Placement Agencies is true. They teach. Now that being said, Where I teach on the off season, they have an excellent placement because we do in fact get calls from companies looking for low time pilots. So always remember what I tell my students on day one.... your career starts TODAY. Act, train, work, behave accordingly because you may want a reference in the future and every school wants to be able to give you that.....

• Like 1

It is SO important to remember that aviation is a very small community. Be an arse to one guy today, and likely he'll be the one responsible for you NOT getting a job down the line.

And IF this is what you want to do, PLEASE show some enthusiasm when you walk through the door...

• Like 3

I can't rate Chinook highly enough. I have done my Foreign Licence conversion, longline, ATPL and IR with them. Cathy (owner) is super friendly as is her mum and husband who also work there. As well as the other instructors and the tech guy who runs their Sim.Plus they have their own trailer about 300m from the hangar for reaally cheap :)

Cathy is also always beiing contacted by companys looking for recommended low time pilots...

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
Guest driver81

I would talk to LR. Ask what your chances are of getting hired after your training. You might be better off paying a bit more for training if it gets you a job after. I know they have work for there students. Remember the training is also a job interview, if you chose to go that route.