Picking An Ame School

johnson4

I'm trying to decide on an ame program and need some input.

My options seem to be:

1. Sait, since I'm already living in Alberta, and have family in cow town

2. NLC, Vernon, mainly cause it's been said on this forum that it's the best place for heli training.

3. ICS, cheap and accessible but I'm worried about finding a job with only this training, comments?

4. ??? Have I overlooked one in my searches?

All opinions are welcome :) My main consern is finding good employment after the course, ICS is the easiest on the outset but will it limit my job options?

Thanks

I'm trying to decide on an ame program and need some input.

My options seem to be:

1. Sait, since I'm already living in Alberta, and have family in cow town

2. NLC, Vernon, mainly cause it's been said on this forum that it's the best place for heli training.

3. ICS, cheap and accessible but I'm worried about finding a job with only this training, comments?

4. ??? Have I overlooked one in my searches?

All opinions are welcome :) My main consern is finding good employment after the course, ICS is the easiest on the outset but will it limit my job options?

Thanks

Hello,

I may be a little out of date but NLC Dawson Creek was "the" place to go for roatry wing, Vernon was a satellite campus, you still needed to go to Dawson for some components of training. Again, this could have changed. But I do recommend NLC Dawson Creek the most.

All of the places you have mentioned are just fine, no reason not to attend any of the full time training facilities. This is BASIC training, you don't leave any facility with too much to offer!!

One you did not mention is BCIT, nothing wrong with them either.

I would urge you to not do it the ICS method. I am a hiring manager and I would pick a person who attended full time training if all other things were equal.

IMO the ICS course is only useful if your already working in aviation and your employer suggests you take it.

Which school you go to matters very little. Your attitude and willingness to relocate will play a much lager role in getting hired. Make sure what ever school you go to is accredited otherwise you end up doing another 4 years of apprenticeship vs 2.5 with an accredited school.

Red River College (Stevenson Campus) had some sort of program where you went for a few months then worked a few months then back to school. I'm not sure if they still offer this program though.

Good Luck!

Like the above posters have said, if you do the Vernon route, you end up moving to Dawson Creek for the last 2/3 of the course anyways. So unless you are already living in the Okanagan you might as well start in Dawson.

I think moving to Dawson and doing your schooling there is the best choice personally. I was amazed at how many people thought DC was the end of the earth and quickly after graduating realized this business isn't for them. Think of DC as a taste test of things to come. I had a blast my 1.5 years in the Dodge and wouldn't have traded that time for anything. Many of the instructors are bush heli guys or close to it;) and you can learn a lot from them beyond the textbooks so to say. I know a few people who did the ICS thing and I am on the fence about it. I think what z1milhouse said is probably most accurate: it is for people who already have jobs as "apprentices" and just need to fill the requirement of schooling. If you are looking at starting from scratch and plan on going the heli route, NLC gets my endorsement.

ThreePer

Like the above posters have said, if you do the Vernon route, you end up moving to Dawson Creek for the last 2/3 of the course anyways. So unless you are already living in the Okanagan you might as well start in Dawson.

I think moving to Dawson and doing your schooling there is the best choice personally. I was amazed at how many people thought DC was the end of the earth and quickly after graduating realized this business isn't for them. Think of DC as a taste test of things to come. I had a blast my 1.5 years in the Dodge and wouldn't have traded that time for anything. Many of the instructors are bush heli guys or close to it;) and you can learn a lot from them beyond the textbooks so to say. I know a few people who did the ICS thing and I am on the fence about it. I think what z1milhouse said is probably most accurate: it is for people who already have jobs as "apprentices" and just need to fill the requirement of schooling. If you are looking at starting from scratch and plan on going the heli route, NLC gets my endorsement.

ThreePer

A big plus one here. Additionally, they have expanded the school since my time there, and I believe they have also added some more prevalent aircraft since then as well. Best of luck!

A big thumbs down to ICS. To me you end up starting in the industry before you are ready. There's just no way to prepare unless you are in a hands on College. You end up lagging behind the other apprentices and then bitter when they make advances ahead of you. A hands on college gives you a starting background and a foundation to build on. Completing the book and practical work shows your employer you are dedicated to starting and finishing something in a given amount of time- something the ICS background apprentices I've worked with seem to have a problem with. I took my schooling out east but the majority of successful candidates I work with came out of NLC. Definitely take the college route, it saves time on your apprenticeship and you'll have the tools to achieve.

Ya safe to say ICS is out. I guess it works if you are already I'm a work/employment situation.

NLC seems to get the votes but situationally SAIT is pretty high on my list right now.

My wife's sister is in Calgary(with a potential basement suite for us).

Sait has a longer break between 1st and 2nd year(thought this was a negative but will give me time to return to my current job and save up for the second year, no loans ;) )

Also close enuf to allow me to commute to work during the break.

Regardless of what location I end up at, the plan is to start Jan2013 so saving/overtime/ketchup-on-bread starts now.

ThreePer

Not correct. You spend 62 weeks in Vernon and 14 in Dawson Creek. Either way is ok. You get the same training. NLC/Okanagan College are heavily oriented to rotary but that doesn't mean you cant go to SAIT, BCIT, Stevenson etal and be succesfull. The one thing that any employer wants is the one thing that cannot be taught in school and that is attitude. I have a saying, "you will get hired for your skills (an AME diploma) you will get fired for your attitude."

• Like 2

Not correct. You spend 62 weeks in Vernon and 14 in Dawson Creek. Either way is ok. You get the same training. NLC/Okanagan College are heavily oriented to rotary but that doesn't mean you cant go to SAIT, BCIT, Stevenson etal and be succesfull. The one thing that any employer wants is the one thing that cannot be taught in school and that is attitude. I have a saying, "you will get hired for your skills (an AME diploma) you will get fired for your attitude."

Sorry you are right. I couldn't quite remember the time split between the two. And ditto on the 'tude. It goes for any real world job worth it's salt, but in this small little heavily dysfunctional family we call the heli world, it means a #### ton.

Threeper