Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Picking An Ame School

johnson4

I went to BCIT. I have done a couple type courses at NLC in Dawson. I really think it does not matter too much where you go. Whatever you think will be easiest for your finances probably will be the best.

One thing is for sure; the guys who are genuinely interested after the first month, make friends with like minded classmates, enjoy and do well in the classroom and on the floor, and get along with the instructors are the guys who are successful finding work.

The guys who slack off, ***** and moan and barely get by are the ones left at the end going wtf? These are the ones that start threads on forums about what a scam and waste of time AME school is because there is no job "waiting for them".

Bottom line wherever you go: Go to school, do well, make friends and have fun going out partying and seeing the shows.

It is that last month at school and the first after that really matter. This is where you should put a lot of effort into getting out there looking for that first job. Get in contact with as many prospective employers as possible and get some face to face time if you can. BE PREPARED TO MOVE. When an employer asks if you are willing to relocate, there should be an immediate response of: " Yes, It will be no problem at all." Once you are licensed you can start looking for that rotational job or one in a place you like. Half of my class at BCIT had jobs starting the week after our school was done. These were the guys you could tell wanted it in the first week.

On your Kelowna-Vernon thing, I think that commute would be a pain in the *** myself. If SAIT is close and convenient, go there. If you are going to move, go to Dawson.

• Like 1

Thanks marc, that was well put.

I'm in ft mac so moving is definitely gonna happen. My main hesitation with DC is housing costs, and thats only because of the great family that I have in Calgary and Kelowna with open doors. With wife and 2 kids its hard to get much benifit from student housing.

As far as Calgary VS Vernon goes, the drive up from Kelowna seems more sane than driving from one end of the Deerfoot to the other(which is what I'd be into in Calgary)

All that said, my main priority is saving up now so cash isnt an added stress while trying to focus on school

• 3 weeks later...
1343021324[/url]' post='142751']

Thanks for all the input guys. Because of all the personal contacts/resources in Calgary and Vernon it has become a toss up between those two. I've sent in applications now so we'll see what happens.

You might find that you are too late for SAIT as the courses usually fill up by May. And re electrical training is much more advanced than the Heathkit era mentioned above.Also they have two Robbie's and Al just ran the first R66 type course

Thanks marc, that was well put.

I'm in ft mac so moving is definitely gonna happen. My main hesitation with DC is housing costs, and thats only because of the great family that I have in Calgary and Kelowna with open doors. With wife and 2 kids its hard to get much benifit from student housing.

As far as Calgary VS Vernon goes, the drive up from Kelowna seems more sane than driving from one end of the Deerfoot to the other(which is what I'd be into in Calgary)

All that said, my main priority is saving up now so cash isnt an added stress while trying to focus on school

If you already live in Fort Mac, you would be far better off (economically) getting a job in the oil sands! More money, home every night.............etc........