Ame Type Courses

Topher

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just two quick questions on Transport Canada's acceptance of type courses. My current employer is a Bell Authorised Service Centre and as such, I have the opportunity to attend type courses in DFW, TX. I'm looking to make the move to Canada for a few summers, beginning next year, as an AME and I'd be wanting to convert my CASA licence to a TC license and then get the attendance recognised so as to negate the requirement to sit the course again.

1. Will TC recognise the course (in retrospect) if I'm not TC AME Licensed at the time of the course.

2. After a type course is sat, are there any further requirements for a (type) licence to be issued? Hours on the type etc?

I'm basically wanting my type course attendance to be recognised in both Australia and Canada, too much to ask?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Chris.

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just two quick questions on Transport Canada's acceptance of type courses. My current employer is a Bell Authorised Service Centre and as such, I have the opportunity to attend type courses in DFW, TX. I'm looking to make the move to Canada for a few summers, beginning next year, as an AME and I'd be wanting to convert my CASA licence to a TC license and then get the attendance recognised so as to negate the requirement to sit the course again.

1. Will TC recognise the course (in retrospect) if I'm not TC AME Licensed at the time of the course.

2. After a type course is sat, are there any further requirements for a (type) licence to be issued? Hours on the type etc?

I'm basically wanting my type course attendance to be recognised in both Australia and Canada, too much to ask?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Chris.

Hi,

I assume you are talking about the 206? And at BHT Ft. Worth ? That has TC approval number 2011-04-7341, so yes, it will be recognized after the fact. All the normal commercial type courses at BHT are Transport Canada Approved.

You can check here.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/maintenance-aarpb-ato-current-531.htm

2. Having an AME licence and a valid type course does not allow you to sign a maintenance release on a commercial turbine powered helicopter in Canada. For that you will need to have a valid ACA (aircraft certification authority) issued by an Approved Maintenance Organization (AMO) but no experience is required beyond the required training (type course and AME licence) except for a practical evaluation by the AMO during the process of ACA issuance.

• Like 1

Thanks very much guys!

In Oz, you need to have sat and passed certain 'CASA Basic Exams', to be eligible to sit type courses, they cover the very basic fundamentals to ensure that your trainer isn't trying to explain helicopter aerodynamics or basic gas turbine theory when he should be instructing on a certain 'type' of airframe or engine.

I'm already licensed on 206's in Australia so I'd be looking at sitting a 407, 205 or 212 course, and it's good to know that there are no TC pre-requisites to sitting type courses. The NLC website looks like it's got just what I need.

Thanks again for your help!

Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick note: Be sure to specifically ask Bell to put the TC approval number on your type course certificates. They do not automatically do this. You may have to take TC specific tests during the course at Bell. This is no big deal and they are just to "jump through the TC hoop" so-to-speak.