Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pilot/Ame

Reading johnson4's thread over in Maintenance Ops has me curious about the AME side of things, so here's a bunch of questions for the pilot/AMEs out there...

How many here are both pilot and AME?

Which came first?

What led you to choose both paths?

Do you prefer one to the other?

Did having your AME training help your pilot career (or vice versa)?

Given a chance to do it all again, would you do things differently?

Thanks!! cool.gif

D.

Zero replies yet because they are all too busy being over worked? :shock:

I see your point... biggrin.gif

D.

In my career as ame, I have only seen one person that was able to do both jobs effectively.

When he was a pilot he was a pilot he didn't tell the engineer how to do things, but he was able to supply the engineer with all the information so he could properly troubleshoot a snag and guide him back in the correct direction if he went off on a tangent. He would upon request provide all sorts of information on how to do a job.. When working as a engineer he went about fixing and servicing the aircraft in a very methodical manner. He is very professional in both jobs.

Other pilot/engineers I have worked with in the past have had trouble differentiating between the roles at times. I think most guys that are dual qualified end up focusing on one profession or the other.

• Like 2

Reading johnson4's thread over in Maintenance Ops has me curious about the AME side of things, so here's a bunch of questions for the pilot/AMEs out there...

How many here are both pilot and AME?

Which came first?

What led you to choose both paths?

Do you prefer one to the other?

Did having your AME training help your pilot career (or vice versa)?

Given a chance to do it all again, would you do things differently?

Thanks!! cool.gif

D.

I started as an AME apprentice on fixed-wing aircraft back in the 60s and began getting stick time along the way. Later I worked as an AME to pay for my flight training. I got into helicopter maintenance in the 70s and began helicopter flight training.

Many years later I feel I have mastered a little bit of both flight and maintenance. I ran a maintenance company; designed STCs; worked as chief pilot and director of maintenance on both fixed and rotary winged aircraft; worked as a long-line and construction pilot; flew Beavers and Norsemen on floats; flight-instructed in both types.

Being an AME has given me personally, a better understanding of the systems I fly with; a nuts-and-bolts approach you might say. It has helped me a lot in trouble-shooting and rigging.

However, helicopters are where my heart has always been. They're fun and utilitarian. As for flying or maintaining, that's a hard question to answer. I love doing both and will continue to do so as long as someone wants to employ me.

The only issues I have had is when I hear a pilot knocking the mechanics or when a mechainc knocks the pilots. I've been there. Both positions have a very great deal of responsibility and neither is easy. Everyone in aviation needs to be respected for their contribution.

• Like 10

Thanks for your posts, everyone. If I ever did go back to school, my goals would be to both be more employable and/or useful, as well as better understand the machines I fly. Much as I love flying, I also like diagnosing and troubleshooting things, and I've always done my own work on my vehicles (not the same I know, but at least I know what it's like to turn a wrench mf_prop.gif).

My query is mostly just idle curiosity at this point, but it may merit some more focused research on my next road trip.

I also stumbled on an older pilot/AME thread from a few years back; lots of good info there - both pro and con.

lamadriver1948, sounds like you have a great career - very inspiring!

Cheers,

Darren

I did the AME licence first (76), then became a pilot (79). I did both jobs for a while, but only in short term camp situations. You're not a full time AME by any means, but you can get a simple aircraft through a few inspections. Keep in mind that I did this through the late 70's and early 80's, so the legal issues were not huge. I can not see how a single person can legally do an inspection on any aircraft these days?

Basically it gave me a very good understanding of the aircraft systems, and probably did save me from freezing my arse off a few nights, 100 miles from buttbreath BC.

Was it worth it to me, YES, would I recomend it today, NO. I stil have that AME licence, but unless someone has a steam powererd Helicopter, I'm completely out-of-date.

• Like 4