Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Change From Vfr To Ifr Offshore

Hello,

I'm a 40 year old pilot, working in the Canadian VFR helicopter industry since 2006.

I've been thinking recently about changing over to the IFR side of things and trying to find work in the offshore industry. Heard that this has a good chance of increasing my income (in the long run, once I get to be captain) and also give more time with family as the rotations are typically 4x4 or 6x6.

Was hoping to get comments, suggestions, feedback recommendations etc about this.

- Is this something offshore/IFR pilots would recommend I do?

- Is a Canadian IFR sufficient, or should I get both FAA IFR and Canadian IFR to double my employment options?

- If both IFR licenses are preferable, is it cheaper to get an FAA IFR and then convert it to a Canadian IFR, or does it not matter which one I get first?

- Once I get IFR license and write the ATPL, what are my chances of finding offshore work? If not very likely, what are my chances of finding Medevac work?

- How long does one need to be a 1st officer before being able to be promoted to captain?

- Is it futile to try since I don't have any multi engine time?

- Which companies offer offshore work opportunities?

- Which websites are best to look for offshore work?

Many thanks to your feedback.

I would also be interested in any feedback offered to offshore2.

A friend of mine went this way last year from Canadian/Australian VFR work. He has both FAA and TC licences and now earns $100k tax free.

Said rotations were reasonable but job was super boring. But i guess for 100k/yr I wouldn't mind being bored and reading alot??!! ;)

I think he works for Bristow in Nigeria (but could be wrong)

Well, after reading your post and your questions, the one thing that stands out is the question "Is it futile to try since I don't have any multi engine time?"

If you do not have any multi time, then its extremely difficult to get hired. Some companies if they are backed into a corner and absolutely require a pilot may hire a single engine driver with IFR and night. They will only do this is the oil company (who pays the bills) will allow a low time pilot to fly their people offshore. Get multi time, bottom line!! You will need your IFR and night. As far FAA is concerned, this will give you more freedom, only if you have a green card to go with it! If you get hired by a Canadian company and they need you to fly N registered helicopters, they will pay to get your FAA licenses in place. Going about it yourself does not necessarily open the doors to doubling your opportunities. I can't help you with costs. If its only the 2 ATPL exams and the IFR, it is a little more than $300, plus medical. If flight hours are required then that is added cost. There is no cheap way, unless you luck in.

Canadian companies offering offshore is Cougar, pseudo-Canadian is CHC. S76 experience is Helijet and AW139 is found either by Ornge of STARs. Getting these endorsements will guarantee offshore employment, again only if you have the hours to support what the oil companies allow. I'm not that conversant of the hour requirement, it changes but someone can add that here, I think its usually 3000 hrs TT, 1500 multi, 500 hrs type, and 1000 hrs PIC with 100 hrs on type for Capt.

Hope this helps and good luck.

I'm in a similar situation Newbie (other side of the world though), hoping to expand my options in the industry. I've been lucky enough to score a permanent position with a company that operates single VFR & twin VFR/IFR which allows me a progressive path through the company. It might be an avenue you could explore.

As SARblade says, twin time is important (at least a twin rating!) and the IR. Personally I would do the Canadian one because that includes the ADF. The FAA don't use it. If you are thinking of going round the world, where the ADF is used, you won't have to start learning anything in a hurry. Outside the US, the oil companies tend to like JAA/EASA licence because of the perceived in-depth knowledge and the EASA IR generally is done on a twin . In some countries you have to get the JAA/EASA licence anyway (Mauretania, etc), or their authorities have gone to that standard (UAE with CAR OPS).

The Canadian IR will give you the best option for conversion.

Given that the average age offshore is so high (57 in the GOM I'm told) by definition there will be a lot of retirements over the next 3-5 years. A good time to get started.

Phil

PS - another tip - before you atart your IR course, treat yourself to at least 60 hours of seriously accurate flying so that it becomes second nature. Not the usual VFR sloppiness! :) I used to practice tracking with the NDB at Rainbow Lake (if your machine doesn't have one, the indicators on a garmin GPS work in the same sense).

• Like 3

The IFR world has a lot to offer! At 40 some companies see this as a deficiency chc in particular. Getting in as a co-Jo with the hopes of one day sitting in the captains seat without at least 500 hrs twin to meet the offshore oil requirements is a non starter. Most if not all offshore companies give little to no considrration to non 2 crew cockpit experience. So any hours on turbine Singles is basically useless. The best way to get in is through working first for STARS - Helijet or Orange. These are The best routes. So better to get going young when there isn't this preconceived notion that older folks can't learn!! As far as co-Jo positions overseas?? Most are staffed by locals! Best of luck in your quest and if ya can get the 6 and 6 good on ya! Long time away from munchkins though but great when yur home and time to plan and have a life !!!

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to make the switch to IFR early? Recently just achieved 500 hours and looking into Helijet. Have yet to start my instrument and night and ultimately want to end up with a HEMS job.

I know a lot of folks on here have stated that having a solid VFR background is beneficial, but how many of those people are involved in IFR/EMS?

I would find any replys beneficial

Is it possible to make the switch to IFR early? Recently just achieved 500 hours and looking into Helijet. Have yet to start my instrument and night and ultimately want to end up with a HEMS job.

I know a lot of folks on here have stated that having a solid VFR background is beneficial, but how many of those people are involved in IFR/EMS?

I would find any replys beneficial

If you are 25-30 the answer is yes. Get into Helijet as Cojo find some shared accomodation in Vancouver or whatever you can adfford on the meager salary and do your time. Get the ATPL.... Helijet is a great way to get the ball rolling and get that twin time.

If on the other hand you are over 40... abandon all hope keep on VFRing... you are too old to adapt to the new glass cockpit technology and it is beyond your learning ability and ceratonin levels...( not really buy its how its percieved) by most training pilots at the big 5 who themselves are relics... go figure.... Then there is the WOMBAT. Glad to share the secret of that device..( cause its a load of crap) but apparently the best way to see if you can manage the multicrew multitask crew concept. Frankly the only cratures on earth I know that can effectively multitask are women!!!

bestt of luck!

"If on the other hand you are over 40... you are too old to adapt to the new glass cockpit technology and it is beyond your learning ability and ceratonin levels...( "

Bollocks!

I'm teaching it here to students between 21 and 55!

All the old dogs :) at Aerogulf transitioned with little trouble directly from the 212 to the 139. You just have to learn to declutter (assuming yu know what you are looking for in the first place) otherwise it's just another helicopter with the proper training (don't go to Agusta).

If you need a brush up I have a book called Avionics in plain English that should help.

The real difference between the VFR and IFR world is the paperwork and sticking to it - knowing that the old girl will lift another 100 lbs with 10 kts of wind doesn't cut it when the paperwork has to look right. MCC is just learning how to work with people you wouldn't normally go to the pub with! :)

phil

• Like 1