206 Input Driveshaft Problems

vintagemilano

I was wondering if any operators out there are having troubles in the last year or less with 206 input driveshafts overtemping the yellow temp plates. I guess or just overtemping. We have had some troubles lately with no real solid cause and lots of new parts installed. Just wondering if there is something going on beyond our control.

Thank you,

We had an issue a few years ago where a 206 shaft was temping out every 6 weeks or so. (You may have still been with 'us' at the time.)

We went through a lot of shafts, double checking and triple checking assembly procedures and such.

It finally turned out to be a loose isolation mount. Creating too much play and flex.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

We had an issue a few years ago where a 206 shaft was temping out every 6 weeks or so. (You may have still been with 'us' at the time.)

We went through a lot of shafts, double checking and triple checking assembly procedures and such.

It finally turned out to be a loose isolation mount. Creating too much play and flex.

Just a thought.

Run a K-flex and forget about grease forever ;)

• Like 1

Gonna have to agree with DGP on this one with the K-flex but unfortunately you might need a bank loan to take that route. There are a couple things you can do here. As Ray said, check your isolation mounts first. Your W+B and basic flight loading might be something you haven't looked into yet? I've ran across this problem a couple times while working with aircraft that have been flying consistently with loads that pull the c of g further aft then normal. Chainsaws, pumps, backpacks etc.. loaded in the cargo comp. and gear in the backseat with just pilot on board or just lots of external loads with a heavy aft c of g. In theory, your a/c w+b should be within limits and your driveline shouldn't move but with these loads your m/r disc needs to compensate the heavy aft loads by tilting further foreward that much more in turn putting stress on your driveshaft. You may need to feed your pilot some cheeseburgers and cookiedough to bulk them up, should be a new flight manual revision out soon for 206's. Changing minimum pilot weight to 180lbs. Just something else to look into...

Make sure you have the yellow temp plates with the black lines per the ASB to install them. I believe the 204's and 205's have a lower temp yellow indicator without black lines and they will go off continually if installed in a 206 instead of the correct ones.

Hey there, thanks for the idea's. We had already changed the isolation mount, got and check the shim record, W&B calculations etc. I'm pretty confident on the assembly technique and we are only getting bell parts. We have even gone and used a point and shoot IR thermometer to check coupling temps after successively longer flights. In those cases coupling temp stabilized at around 175-200, well below the 6000-3 threshold. After all that we are still experiencing random all black yellows with varying loads, different pilots and different helicopters.

We have sent a request for idea's to Bell with no real light bulb moments. We did get a letter from them to remove the ballast in the landing light bay and to just use the CofG envelops in the flight manual. I imagine each operator would need their own letter on that.

I was just wondering if we are part of the beginning of a larger problem that needs to be acknowledged.

Just my thoughts, I'm generally happy with the Jetranger.

Thank you,

Just throwing things out there, as it seems you haven't solved things definitively:

Does it happen after certain flight ops?

Does it only happen after a certain pilot flies the a/c?

Maybe a bad production batch of indicators?

If you're pulling your hair out, perhaps one could temporarily mount some kind of an IR temp sensor to give a real-time indication during flight ops to keep an eye on it.

I have spent too many years flying and fixing greaseable 206 driveshafts...had one that showed NO signs of overheating and it was totally f#$%Kd when I had to beat it off the TX as it would not flex...the gears were welded together...the stickers are absolutely a waste of time...they Know there is a problem and that was the quick fix...a kflex will cost more but when you add up all the bull#t that you spent pulling shafts out...measureing and repacking...I have seen ame's spend a lifetime doing this...I have flown the last 13 years on Bell's with Kflex from the factory and you will pull the motor and or trany more than you will the drive shaft...me thinks Bell knows this as well..... dah!!!!....bit the bullet and everyone will be happy and save...mtc. :up:

• 6 months later...