Torque Seal-Help!

bushy

Is there a definitive source of information/instruction on torque striping/seal, that gives the pros/cons, techniques, dangers and limitations of this process please?

Everybody seems to have an opinion varying from 'useful to a waste of time', but where can I find the FACTS!

Thanks all.

My either Bushy, just going from when we had an issue at Peace with a 500 when some folks were trying to find a fix such as lockwire or selflocking bnuts it was brought up that if we were to follow the instructions in the manual that to eliminate the problem to torque the lines, and mark them. Perhaps someone with a current manual can check it out and let you know.

Ya the RR has a Mandatory SB for torque sealing B-Nuts. Paint pen is great for dry places but doesn't stand a chance on a leaky RR250 or near greasy bearings.

Bushy, I think it would depend entirely on your companies SOPs and what aircraft you operate (e.g. 206 vs AS350) because there is the aforementioned SB and things like that to consider.

I believe it's in the Rolls Royce Maintenance Manual. I've used fabric paint, available in most sewing stores and in similar tubes as torque seal. It has good staying power and is a lot easier to remove when required.

Cheers

Facts:

RR 250-C20 MM:

72-00-00 Page 329 (Para. 9.B ).

RR 250-C20 CSL-A-1166 Rev 1 (basically says the same thing as in the MM above):

Paras. 2 I, J & K.

Other than that, off the top of my head there aren't other engines/airframes (that I've worked on) that require it across the board; just specific instances/locations. I still find it handy to use on other places as a reminder for what has or has not bee torqued or dualed, especially after major work.