Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Changes In Flight Duty Time Regulations

My single pilot single heliocopter operation would have to go to a 4 pilot one helicopter operation.

I am a Canadian who is a helicopter pilot who is not interested in this association which is determined to put me out of business.

Confused why 4 pilots?? Surely just 2 doing 14 on and 14 off making sure they don't average more than 4.8hrs rev in a 8.2hr day for each 14 on.....Or 8hrs rev in an 11hr day starting @ 0700 for single day flights.

Would just take planning and getting used to the new regulations (if / when they come in) surely?

Most people already use FlightDutyXLS would just need upgrading by them for the new figures.......

• Like 1

Jim I tried to comment again but had to give up. Well maybe not.I think this could work for McDonalds where you live and work below the poverty line. We live and work in strange times. Special interest groups control the out comes in many instances. As a profession we had better get together and stand up or we will continue to be walked over. If we ( The pilots and engineers ) don't get together we will not be heard. Fred and his gang of ding bats will control what happens and we will still go to work just for less money. So tell your owner to stand up and fight for our jobs as well as his company.

• Like 2

Jim I tried to comment again but had to give up. Well maybe not.I think this could work for McDonalds where you live and work below the poverty line. We live and work in strange times. Special interest groups control the out comes in many instances. As a profession we had better get together and stand up or we will continue to be walked over. If we ( The pilots and engineers ) don't get together we will not be heard. Fred and his gang of ding bats will control what happens and we will still go to work just for less money. So tell your owner to stand up and fight for our jobs as well as his company.

FREDDIE, So tell your owner to stand up and fight for our jobs as well as his company.

The OWNERS CLUB, HaaaaaaaaaC, will never allow the peasants to tell them what to do.

I have, sad to say, LMAO, since this scenario started.

If we ( The pilots and engineers ) don't get together we will not be heard. Fred and his gang of ding bats will control what happens and we will still go to work just for less money.

I would rather not say this, BUT, I THINK I MIGHT HAVE TOLD YOU SO.

A strong association has power, whereas individuals do not.

The pilots and engineers are there own worst enemy.

Good Luck

Don

• Like 1

FREDDIE, So tell your owner to stand up and fight for our jobs as well as his company.

The OWNERS CLUB, HaaaaaaaaaC, will never allow the peasants to tell them what to do.

I have, sad to say, LMAO, since this scenario started.

If we ( The pilots and engineers ) don't get together we will not be heard. Fred and his gang of ding bats will control what happens and we will still go to work just for less money.

I would rather not say this, BUT, I THINK I MIGHT HAVE TOLD YOU SO.

A strong association has power, whereas individuals do not.

The pilots and engineers are there own worst enemy.

Good Luck

Don

Don, unless I missed something I think you did.

Freddie, and the VAST majority of Canadian helicopter pilots, do NOT want this new structure to become the norm. We don't want TC's working group, which is completely dominated by the airline unions, telling us what we need to do to be safe. Where is the dismal safety record, tied to fatigue, that has led to this proposal on the part of government?

You seem to be laughing at the fact that without HEPAC (or equivalent) things are going as you (and others) predicted, whereas I think the opposite is true. Pilots generally (there are exceptions as Medman and his Fred Lewis alias demonstrate) do not want to associate in any real way that will impose some restraint on their individuality. Aviation in the rotary wing industry is far more of a life style choice and a passionate pursuit than it is a "job".

I know lots of airline pilots... they do not embrace their "jobs" as a passionate pursuit. They generally prefer time off to working. The more money for less work they can get the better. This is human nature. Helicopter pilots love moving drills, fighting fire, etc, etc... There is no comparison...

HV

• Like 5

I'm with you! Just not with the ding bats ...

... and I do believe that the operators should have the say .... unless we want a workers paradise. It worked so well in Russia ....

I'm with you! Just not with the ding bats ...

... and I do believe that the operators should have the say .... unless we want a workers paradise. It worked so well in Russia ....

I also believe the operators should have their say.....but they will certainly not have the interest of the pilots or engineers.

It is a shame that you guys still have no idea the difference between an association or a union.

The only people not talking from a management point of view are the TWO ding bats, as usual. (VIH & HIGHLAND)

GET REAL.

Is this guy serious?

Yeah it sounds all nice and dandy, more pilots and charge more... yeah no one ever thought of charging more, I wonder how that is going... more pilots, yeah thats great, there are so many pilots out there that are competent to do all this work...

I am a low(er) time pilot, and I sure as **** dont want to be put in a situation where I could kill my self or even worse, someone else.. how is gonna bring low time pilot to do non suitable work create a safer working environment? Import more kiwis and aussies?

There is not enough good pilots out there to man 2 pilots per machine... and what a 3 hr min is now gonna be split by 2? try to get the exploration companies to pay a 6 hr min, its not even gonna be worth it for them..

No this is no way it can work, for ambulance, heli jet that sort of operator yeah maybe, but bush pilots out there, sitting in a drill camp with a 12 hour crew change, how is that gonna work? with a day off every 6 days... come on, its a fantasy...

• Like 3

I think having a Pilot and AME association would benefit all the parties, I also don't think that it necessarily put operators and employees at odds either. Having said that, it is flogging a dead horse. It has been clearly demonstrated that the majority of would rather represent themselves and their own interests. So be it!

I also think that the solution for the FDT is somewhere in the middle of the current regs and the new proposals. 42 days of 14 hour duty days is for most of us pretty tiring. (My OM words) 150 hours in 2 weeks is too for a lot of us. There are several factors at play age, physical fitness, working conditions, food etc. etc, some have better stamina than others. Perhaps 28/14 day shifts, 8 hour flight time, 12 hour duty day or something to that effect would be a solution. As most of you know most Provincial Fire Protection Services operate close to those numbers. Contrary to some customers complaining a 12 hour duty day can work ( even in a drill camp) with a single pilot. If they want to operate 24 hours a day ( which it seems some do), then bring in another pilot. Forestry does it when they want to double crew, and they pay for that service. At least ASRD does.

I also agree with one poster on here that some form of schedule is long overdue for AME's, there hours can be downright ridiculous. My pet peeve has always been some of the conditions that we are expected to live in. Anyone stayed in Pelican Narrows before...... thought so! A thread came up on here not long ago on where have all the drill movers gone? They got tired of the living conditions in some of the drill camps! A whole lot of pilots out there are seriously looking at getting their IFR/ATPL to get away from the long shifts. Ask around. Perhaps I am wrong, but I think a lot of pilots and AME's would like to see some changes? Common sense has to prevail though.

My 2 cents for what it is worth.....

• Like 2