Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Averaging

Geez, for once I can say that I agree with what you wrote Fred.

I have to admit, when CHC brought this crap into the system back in the early 90,s is when I made the choice to go offshore IFR over seas, and never regretted it. This is the kind of crap that drives a good pilot/engineer out of the country, and every company, good or bad looses another good employee.

It all boils down toTIME. If you can't turn your phone off that is a day on duty. It doesn't matter what the law is. The canadian VFR market and the industrie(s) that it services varies from day to day. The people that run the companies that we fly for can run the number's any way they want, and they can ask or tell you to do it a certain way....they can not tell you that that time did not pass by.

I look at it this way... I get paid a salary. I get paid a percentage of the A/C charter (ie Flight Pay). I have to be available for a certain number of days as set down by our mutually agreed contract/handshake. I can, from future projections and hope, determine what I will make that year. Hence the reason that while I get paid in a myriad ways (salary, flight pay, non-taxable travel etc) I also get paid a daily overitme rate on any day I work over and above the agreed upon shift. But in the end it does not matter how many hours I am on duty/on call, simply by the nature of the buisiness. 1 possible flight hour = 1 day. Divide your salary by 240 days and that's what you get plusflight pay.

In my mind, I have never averaged my hours, mostly because it hurts to much.. I have worked as a logger, surveyor, fire fighter and derrik hand. All were camp jobs. I have sat for days on an hourly job (helilogging) and never made a dime. I have sat on call as a fire fighter, in the bush at 1/2 time. In the end it all boiled down to time away from home and all that mattered was the total number of dollars per day earned and time spent.

Obviously with this point of view there needs to be a little give and take so to speak with your employer. HV seems amenable to this. But in the end the iron has to fly, and we have to work The machine's hours are taken very seriously and are generally treated as an expense when sitting. As pilots, we are part of that expense. And the sooner employees, and employers realize this the better. If you can't turn your phone off, or you have to make alternative arrangements "just in case" you are employed. And that equals 1 day worked.