Training Schools

As has been stated numerous times: Take a fam flight in each of the three "candidates" at the schools you're considering (Chinook=BH47, BC-Heli=HU30, Valley=BH47, Heli-College=RH22). Evaluate not only the machine, but the instructor(s), the facilities, the training areas, etc. You'll get an overall feel for them and I'll bet you my last dollar one of them will really click with you.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lamabubble

Thanks for the support on Valley. I am slated to start in november with **** in Merritt, but transport hasn't given him the OK yet. have you or anyone else trained with Craig and what are your opinions on doing the school in chilliwack. I don't suppose it is all that busy there, but that is the main reason I was really looking forward to merritt.

Personally I wouldn't dismiss a school based on who busy the air traffic is there. Might actually want to find a spot with a fair amount of it, it's good practice to interact with the tower. But there's a lot to be said for having the sky to yourself too.

Doing my training out of Victoria was a hoot. Apparently it's the 7th busiest airport in Canada. Took the "fear" out of talking to the tower that I hear some pilots get who don't have much experience with it.

I trained in Abbotsford, and the traffic was no problem in my opinion. Yeah, you had to share the infield a little, but it was never a problem for me. I also think it's good to have at least a little practice talkin to the tower, and Abbotsford Tower is good at dealing with the students; will let some things 'slip' and/or even help you out. Finally, you don't spend your entire 100 hours in the infield - once out in the practice areas, you're almost in Chilliwack anyways (among other places ofcourse)... just watch out for those FW :P:P:P

Just my 1/2 a cent

Red

:up: Great points there Cole and Red.....radio work and procedures are an integral part of any flight operations, no matter what part of the world you fly in. If you do choose to learn at a school removed away from an airport....insist that you get proper radio procedure(s) instruction for flying in, and around controlled airspace....there is more to flying helicopters than just pulling on this :o and pushing on that :shock:

Thanks for all the replies, and I do understand how important the tower communication is, i just wondered if it would be more valuble to use your whole lesson training in clear skies and not waiting for clearance from the tower. I just want to get the most out of my $435 hr if you know what I mean.

there is more to flying helicopters than just pulling on this and pushing on that

You're kidding, right??? :lol:

Just when I was starting to think I was getting this figured out... :shock:

Heard someone say, "you should learn something new every day", didn't know they meant helicopters. :P

Wish I could be like 407 Driver...., then life would be good! :prop:

you still gotta start the season of isolation by departing somewhere where there was likely a tower!!! :DB)

Yeah, those guys in the tower almost always let you leave but just try and come back... :shock: If I had to spend $7something a minute for 100 hours I'd hope to be learning for all of it. It can be expensive waiting for somebody in a tower to tell you where to go. There is a lot that should be crammed into 100 hours and communication is one but statistically not very often does that one get guys into life threatening situations as often as some of the usual suspects...