Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Petition To Tc Regarding Flight/duty Time Regs

Sounds like the operators should start American entities,register all of the aircraft in the states, pay for their pilots US licenses and operate under NAFTA in Canada.

;)

I'm all for a petition. This is potentially devistating to operators, I'm not convinced pilots will be affected all that much (due to the already low supply and high demand) aside from even more time hanging around camp.

James Endicott

HV go for it. l do not have time at this point to go into a lengthy diatribe of history, however back when TC was first trying to implement SMS I was privvy to the panel and advised at that time that 702 and 703 certainly had very different defining requirements than 704 and 705. Those whom are in 704 and 705 have a very difficult time in understanding the 702 and 703 world for some it is a stretch for the beavers and otters and when it comes to helicopters, well that is like from another planet. Try to educate a high time long distance heavy tube driver of the decision making required of a helicopter pilot water bucketing in reduced visibility with additional helicopter traffic, bombers inbound and a line up at the dip tank .... they just don't buy it.

Farther back they tried to tie the flight duty time to the Trucking and Railroad system which ended up in a very heated discussion - apples and oranges at best.

I am confident that HAC is attempting to do right by the members, however not all pilots and engineers grinding out a living in this industry are members, and it would be very interesting to get a breakdown of how "joe in the field" that does not have the finances or the time to participate in HAC feels on this item.

You have my respect for taking on a project like this and wish you all the best.

Take care and good luck..

• Like 1

If you can pay me what I make now with those hour requirements, if TC will distribute letters of explanation to all my customers explaining the in's and outs of why I can't do that one last flight (and no, i'm not sneaking one in), if my customers will pay twice the pilot mins, if all the operators will bid the jobs accordingly without any wink,wink, nudge, nudge, if ASRD can be convinced that now they must really pay attention to these rules when putting guys and gals out in a "rager" at 2000 ( and good luck splitting the mins btw), if all the pilot-operators and the oil fields that employ them are on board, and if we all promise not to put too much pressure on the 500 hour guy that's now moving drills up in Baker Lake because there was no-one else and his job is on the line....well then I concur 100 LOL!

These proposed regs are going to make liars and thieves of otherwise good people trying to carve a life out for themselves and their families. They are going to effectively increase the the pressure on the individual pilot on a day to day basis, to keep the customer happy, the boss happy, and their mortgage payments up to date. Doesn't sound to safe to me. And I am not management.

Put me on your list HV

Aza Ehlers

• Like 1

(QUOTE by HV) " During the recent HAC conference the Director General of Civil Aviation, Martin Eley, was kind enough to attend and listen to various concerns from the helicopter industry. He stated that one of the problems or weaknesses in the process was that there was no representation for helicopter pilots. Essentially without a union or an association helicopter pilots have no say, regardless of how many individually voice any concern."

Around and around we go were we stop who knows.

Back in HISTORY the words stated by his Eminence Martin Eley were actually stated by HEPAC back in the dark ages.

Should you go back in history, the placing of the helicopter industry with the "Air Taxi" should have been boycotted by the operator's from the beginning, including the DE- Regulation of the industry. The operators cannot and will not ever agree with the Pilots and Engineers on an individual basis.

I wish you luck HV with your petition, but I doubt that you will get 1/3 of the licensed pilots to respond.

Good Luck

one of the problems or weaknesses in the process was that there was no representation for helicopter pilots. Essentially without a union or an association helicopter pilots have no say, regardless of how many individually voice any concern. -Director General of Civil Aviation

Good luck with the petition, but you're much too late to the prom. Even the ugly girls are not going to dance with you at this late date.

My name isn't Fred. And even if it was, you quoted the wrong statement. Here's the one you should memorize:

one of the problems or weaknesses in the process was that there was no representation for helicopter pilots. Essentially without a union or an association helicopter pilots have no say, regardless of how many individually voice any concern. -Director General of Civil Aviation

I bolded the essential parts. Can I make it any plainer for ya there, skippy?