Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Garmin 695/696

Guest bag swinnger

Guest bag swinnger

I am looking for feedback from anyone who has experience with the 695 or 696 in the helicopter world. My 296 has reached the end of its life cycle and is due for replacement. I have tried the aera line and they do not do what the 1/2/3/496 does anywhere as well as so they are out. Has anyone played with one of these?

Shawn

Guest bag swinnger

I agree, iPad with Foreflight is the way to go. Although it is too bad it doesn't work in Canada.

Have you looked at 396/496's on eBay?

Yes I have.

The problem with 2/3/496 line is that they have a rechargeable battery soldered to the mother board and when that battery no longer holds a charge, it then takes forever to pick up satellites. A purpose built weakest link if you will. I have been able to solder the appropriate lithium rechargeable batt to the board but they only seem to last a month and it is not easy to do. For that reason I am choosing to purchase new with warranty something that I expect to be reasonably reliable for a good length of time. Hence the interest in the 695. Since it is $1800.00 I thought I would ask here for any VFR opinions before I pulled the pin on one.

Another fix for this is to shut the unit off then restart by holding the power button and the top button down for a count of ten then it should fire right up. I think that will make it work I do that all the time with mine for the last six years better than replacing with other junk.

Guest bag swinnger

I have two 296's, one America's and the other with the Atlantic data base. Both now suffer the same problem as do other peoples units. I have used the fast start up tricks listed above and they don't always work for me. It's time for something newer, something my own so that I can know it forwards and backwards, something that has ease of use. If they still sold the 296 new I wouldn't have needed to ask this question. Im not sure what Garmin was thinking when they came up with the Aera line of GPS units as a replacement.

I have a 696 that I used this past summer in the Yukon. Currently use it flying internationally as well and really like it. The ability to load custom maps (or waypoints) easily on a SD card along with the faster drawing, larger screen, etc.. make it worth while.

One thing to note, the power cable is different between the 1/2/3/496 series and the 696 and again different for the 796.

I made a female cigarette lighter adapter out of the auxilliary power port, then took the stock 12-28V charger from Garmin and it worked like a charm.

I was actually about to sell mine to my current employer, but would consider a private sale for less than the 1800 with all the ram mounts and other bits.

I won't have occasion to use my personal 696 for the next 12-18 months.

O.