Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Garmin 695/696

Guest bag swinnger

Sorry, let me rephrase that- it works, on my iPad even without the Bad Elf, but there just aren't any VFR charts. So it's about as useful to a Canadian VFR pilot as a TomTom.

And let me rephrase also.....Foreflight is well versed with VFR charts in Canada with Bad Elf.

• Like 9

And let me rephrase also.....Foreflight is well versed with VFR charts in Canada with Bad Elf.

That would be very cool. How does it work? Do you have to download a different app or does it work by just plugging in the Bad Elf?

I just looked at Foreflights website and it says that it does not support Canadian VFR maps.

I am using Air Nav Pro on an iPad and waiting for ForeFlight.

They have a good detailed 3D kind of map with air related information overlaid

If you touch an airport control zone a window pops up with airspace frequencies and landing lengths

Same sort of things with other air related waypoints and beacons.

It does fight lines and slug tracks your route

And it was cheap

For close in work or area searches or contour crawls, it is hard to beat Topo Maps at the istore.

I think it was about 9 bucks and all Topo maps are free right down to the 1:2500? All over Canada

My biggest gripe with the iPad is that it can not be seen in portrait mode with polarized glasses, I know, TC does not like them but my eyes do.

• 3 weeks later...

Before you throw your old 296 in the trash bin....... maybe consider sending it back to Garmin for a refurb. I know quite a few guys who have hunted down older or broken 2-3-496 bodies and had them rebuilt versus buying the new touch screen units. Aparently it comes back looking and performing like new. Much cheaper option.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd pay $$ for a crapped out 296 just to get it sent out for re-furb.... the problem I see with tablets.... is where the F.... do you put them in a jet box or an Astar??

The iPad mini is real nice strapped to your thigh. You can also get a RAM mount for them (Sporty's has them if memory serves).

• 6 months later...