Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Batiskaf, I should answer you directly. I don't think you can legislate out stupidity. In the post that you responded to, I wrote that I signed the petition. I don't agree with the legislation presented and the petition may allow us time to tailor it to our area of the aviation industry. I do believe as individuals we are responsible to identify fatigue in ourselves and others and act appropriately. To close the last hole in the chain, there has to be legislation.

As for growing up, I think I've done quite a bit in the last few years and I will continue to do so. I encourage others to do the same. Cheers.

Hazy:

My intent was not to attack you and if you felt so, I apologize.

I am only pointing out the fact that in any industry, every time there is some kind of issue, instead of using common sense to improve it, some think the only solution is regulations after regulations.

A functional society does not necessarily mean an over regulated one.

Cheers

So I recieved a call today from Fred Lewis, he is real and I think have met him before(I know am not the sharpest spoon in the drawer). He was very calm and professional. We had a long talk and both realize are on the same side, safety. How to get there perhaps in different manners but hey that is what it is about. I told him I was doing fatigue management with monitoring and discussed the in's and out. All in all he proved to me he is more professional and more calm than myself. I hope that with time all can work things out. My point to alot of what is going on is to try to understand that there are more ways to keep safe than following the letter of the law and that regulations are the MAX someone should go to, not the "I really like the # and # tour and is what it should be" . As someone wrote they have been fatigued in very short tour. Knowledge is the key I think and working with your management to determine what is or is not working for you and your stress/skill/fatigue level. Don't mind generators but man do I hate slamming doors all night.

• Like 2

Batiskaf, I should answer you directly. I don't think you can legislate out stupidity. In the post that you responded to, I wrote that I signed the petition. I don't agree with the legislation presented and the petition may allow us time to tailor it to our area of the aviation industry. I do believe as individuals we are responsible to identify fatigue in ourselves and others and act appropriately. To close the last hole in the chain, there has to be legislation.

As for growing up, I think I've done quite a bit in the last few years and I will continue to do so. I encourage others to do the same. Cheers.

I think legislation is the only way. Most operators or forestry forestry folks will quote the regs... You can do 14 hrs and if you don't there will be somebody who will! Sure there are responsible ops mangers out there that will say ok well change you out after 2 weeks but they still want to keep forestry happy. What would happen if you went to the duty officer and said your starting to feel fatigued after 10-12 hrs.... It wouldn't be long before yur skidded from that fire . Assertive or not! Not welcome back!!!

The better way is to legislate it !!! People understand this and expect the max !

P5

• Like 1

Well from what I see people think the max is 42 and 5, yet 3 in 30 can be done alot longer and don't hear that as a complaint....so it does not need to be legislated in order for people to work out what they want. What I suggest is to try some scenarios such as one that if you want two and two as a reg what happens when the airline cannot get in for three days and you are flying 8's and have to park your butt for three days after your two weeks on? Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 1

I think legislation is the only way. Most operators or forestry forestry folks will quote the regs... You can do 14 hrs and if you don't there will be somebody who will! Sure there are responsible ops mangers out there that will say ok well change you out after 2 weeks but they still want to keep forestry happy. What would happen if you went to the duty officer and said your starting to feel fatigued after 10-12 hrs.... It wouldn't be long before yur skidded from that fire . Assertive or not! Not welcome back!!!

The better way is to legislate it !!! People understand this and expect the max !

P5

Right on!!!!!!!!

If you are too tired to inspect and tie down the machine properly and do paperwork accurately, you are encountering fatigue.

I like this interpretation. I know my own personal limits, but you put the very basics into words. Same goes for AMEs as well. If you're too tired to do a good DI, then you're overworked.

The best defences against fatigue are 1) Professional, assertive pilots. 2) Responsible and Accountable Management and to the least..... 3) Legislation.

Fully agree. Unfourtunately, I think society and industry currently have it reversed. I think there is little 'real' training or encouragement going on in regards to professionalism and assertiveness of pilots or AMEs.