Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Twin Otter Missing In Antarctica

Bif

Not heli related, but fellow aviators and fellow Canadians. Really hope everyone is ok...

This came across my desk today in the TSB daily log:

A13F0011: The Kenn Borek Air Ltd. de Havilland DHC-6 Twin Otter, registration C-GKBC, was on an IFR flight from South Pole Station, Antarctica, to Terra Nova Bay, Antarctica with a crew of 3 on board. There has been no communcation from the aircraft and the flight is overdue. An ELT is transmitting at S83.°55.12', E168°45.84'. Search and rescue efforts are underway.

CTV is also reporting:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/bad-weather-hampers-search-for-canadian-plane-missing-in-antarctica-1.1127347

• Like 1

Our engineers are in Antarctica supporting the AS350B3 which is standing by to get to the site as of 0700hrs here in New Zealand.

I've worked around those KB guys in the Arctic and they do know their stuff. I hope the guys come out OK.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=523046884383526&set=a.219936934694524.61130.131130550241830&type=1&theater

Best wishes for a safe and speedy recovery. This is terrible for the families waiting for word and my heart goes out to them. I hope with every fiber of my being they're camping and collecting the story of a lifetime.

HV

• Like 2

KENN BOREK AIR LTD. - JANUARY 25, 2013
Friday evening Calgary time, a C130 Hercules aircraft of the New York Air National Guard made visual contact with the overdue aircraft in Antarctica. The sighting was confirmed approximately thirty minutes later by a Kenn Borek Air Ltd. Twin Otter aircraft deployed in a search and rescue (SAR) role. The crew of the SAR Twin Otter reports that the overdue aircraft impacted a steep snow and ice covered mountain slope. No signs of activity are evident in the area surrounding the site, and it appears that the impact was not survivable.
Due to the terrain and ongoing weather conditions, the SAR Twin Otter was unable to land near the site. Subject to favourable weather conditions, helicopter crews and mountain rescue personnel will attempt to access the accident site Saturday morning Calgary local time

Not heli related, but fellow aviators and fellow Canadians.

Thanks to Bif for kicking off this thread, but the "Not heli related " is not quite correct. The pilot of this aircraft has been a great team member & friend for 100's of helicopter pilots at both the top & bottom of this big planet of ours, & like me he has left a great hole in our heart with his departure.

The family has asked that the remaining crew not be named - I respect that, but I would like to take the opportunity to say that the whole crew were top shelf, a credit to themselves, their families, Kenn Borick Air & the rest of us who were privelaged enough to share our little patch of ice with them for the summer. When the names are released to the public, please remember my comments & put them to the face. Fly safe boys.

• Like 6