Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight/duty Petition And Survey

Hello all, I would like to give a brief update on the petition and survey. I would have done this a few days ago but I updated my email address in my profile and that served to shut down my posting privileges.

The survey went live on Jan 9th and was closed on the 30th, so we had 21 days in which to gather responses. I am pleased to say we received over 700 survey responses. Of the respondents, well over 600 "signed" the petition. Unfortunately there were quite a few that did not include licence numbers or we could not confirm contact information. We did try and contact anyone who had signed that had incomplete information, and were successful in some cases but not in others. The net result was almost exactly 600 respondents signing their name to our protest. This is over 25% of currently active helicopter pilots in Canada. A huge turnout for how many days we had.

About 90 pilots declined signing after completing the survey. Tacitly, that indicates 15% of respondents and possibly 15% of helicopter pilots in general (we need to consider "survey bias" of course) are in favour of the proposed regulations. Approximately 90 pilots identified themselves as EMS or offshore so I suspect (we can't sort the demographic that didn't sign by their earlier survey responses so I am guessing here) the majority of non-signers were probably from that group. I can understand that as the challenges that EMS and IFR pilots face can be quite different from Day VFR pilots. This is supported by the fact that almost 300 pilots reported that the most fatiguing aspect of their job was waiting to go flying. When one considers the standby time involved with EMS operations, especially at night, it is easy to see how one would feel about regulations that would limit some of the more intrusive aspects of the schedule. All the more reason to draft industry and sector specific regulations rather than trying one set of rules for everything.

If anyone would like to see the letter that accompanied the petition I will be happy to share it by email. I won't post it here because I want to know who I am dealing with. Everyone has the right to their opinion but agitators often will use unscrupulous means to get their opinion to the forefront. I'm not interested in having anything with my name on it being spread around and used for unintended purposes. So, if you want a copy email me at coreyedmundtaylor@gmail.com and I will send you one. You have to identify yourself of course or no go!

We are in the final stages of organizing the survey data and compiling it into a short report and cover letter, which, when done, will be posted here.

Thanks to everyone who signed and to those who helped organize it all. If we didn't have day jobs it would have been a lot easier that's for sure.

HV

• Like 4

How about comparing that to voter turnout in a federal election, or better yet look at how many airline pilots voted for the union reps that sat at the table during the working group discussions. Pretty sure our 25% is an amazing number given the short length of time to advertise and complete the petition.

You sound a bit angry Seeker, am since you're a Safety Officer at a major oil company I'm not quite sure where your aggression is coming from.

Kevin McCormick

• Like 2

So, 75% or 1800 pilots DID NOT SIGN the petition!

600 of the 700 who did the petition did sign it, that is 86% did sign the petition. People who don't do a survey are not included as to be one on side of the fence or the other as they either didn't know, don't care or were indisposed etc. What this survey concluded that pilots are not infavor of the proposed changes. Hopefully this will ensure that futher investigation is required. What you seek is perhaps to disrupt rather than dispute?

• Like 2