Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Canadore Bomarc Campus.

Wiggins

Thanks for posting that.

We lived in North Bay from 69 - 75. My dad was a Captain until retiring as a Major due to medical leave (cancer) and then we moved south. I remember little of it but i know i went out to the base with him on occasion (peaked inside a fighter once) and he did work in "the hole" (underground) once in a while as well. Can't help but wonder how much of that area he wandered and where was his office. Died in 79 unfortunately, so many of the questions i have will never be answered, but it is great to see the place now, if only the walls could talk....

Cheers.

I was flying SWE with Al Lang as passenger when we took the windsock off the old barn at the original training site just down from the college and flew it out to the bomarc site...this was in early 1974...I finished up my training at the bomarc site in '74...and never seen it again until the reunion in 2002...I see they are having a 2 day get together at the new college site this march....I will be working and unable to make it....cheers!....pottsy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I was flying SWE with Al Lang as passenger when we took the windsock off the old barn at the original training site just down from the college and flew it out to the bomarc site...this was in early 1974...I finished up my training at the bomarc site in '74...and never seen it again until the reunion in 2002...I see they are having a 2 day get together at the new college site this march....I will be working and unable to make it....cheers!....pottsy

Forgot to ask in my last post, what happened to Lang and Wayne Bolen? I knew Sully died while jogging a number of years back. I still have some college friends teaching Maintenance at new Campus. Never been there to see the new Campus...

Matt

Not sure about Wayne. The last time I saw him was a few years ago flying a medium for Superior Helicopters.

Al is still around; he did a couple of contracts for us over the past few summers. If I'm not mistaken, he dropped us an email this spring, asking if we needed him for a tour or two. It was a slow summer, so we didn't take him up on it. Nothing but respect for guys like that...in his 70s and still loves to get in the seat; no questions asked and you'll never hear a peap from him (even if you stick him in a jet ranger which is a very tight squeeze for Al LOL)

By the way, if I am in my 70s and still in love with flying in this crazy industry...somebody please shoot me...LOL. Then again i guess i should hope i am half as healthy as Al when I am 70...

By the way, if I am in my 70s and still in love with flying in this crazy industry...somebody please shoot me...LOL. Then again i guess i should hope i am half as healthy as Al when I am 70...

Thanks Freewheel. I had gotten out of the industry back in the 80's, but I do run in to a few "voices from the past'. Yeah, I think many of us hope to still have the urge and health to fly at a very ripe age. post-6378-0-96773700-1380201473_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...