Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bell 212E

The ASRD has published their 2013 Casual Charter Rates (Revised March 25, 2013)

There are 3 variances of the Bell 212 listed...

Bell 212

Bell 212HP c/w Tail Rotor Mod

Bell 212E c/w BLR Strake and Fast Fin

What is a Bell 212E and why would it have the same rate as a 212HP? As far as I understood, the 212HP with the applicable T/R was the only 212 variance that had approved published increased WAT performance. The HP without the applicable T/R only has different HOGE and HIGE charts. I did see an operators website that showed higher WAT numbers for the 212E (whatever that is) than the 212HP. I guess it is a positive that the ASRD is willing to pay for the safety margin gains of having the Strake/Fast Fin combination performance. The 212HP with the applicable T/R and Strake/Fast Fin should be the highest paid 212 out there then.

Given that thought process, the Bell 205++ with the Strake/Fast Fin combination should yeild a higher rate that the 205++ without?

Got me baffled....anyone know more about this 212E?

• Like 9

An operator must have sold them on this.

Years ago, I was on a fire and talking to the crew boss on the fire base. He talked about the 206L4 that our competitor had across the pad. I looked over at the 2 round exhaust pipes sticking out the top of the engine cowl and asked if they ever flew with more than 2 people in it. He had a surprised look on his face as he mentioned how disappointed they were at the performance.

Yes, I was kind enough to point out the difference between a 206L and a 206L4 at a glance.

Wonder how that turned out.

To be fair there was(not sure if still listed) the Bell 204C while no such animal existed it was what people called the 204 with the -13 engine. This was/is still a much more powerful aircraft than the -11 engined 204 thus not only did it have a better payload it cost more to operate thus demanding the higher dollar per hour. Now mostly called the 204andahalf but 204C looks better.

What about the non-existent 205-A1++? That is just a nickname we give a 205 with 212 blades and a -17 engine... I think there is nothing wrong with adding performance and then using a nickname. But it should become standard then... Here's what I suggest:

212 with -3 engines 212-

212 with -3B engines 212

212 with the HP kit (including T/R) 212HP

212 with -3 engines and BLR kits 212

212 with -3B engines and BLR kits 212E

212 with the HP setup and BLR kits 212E+

So I think at least 2 of the 212E's on the market have -3's so should be downgraded to straight 212! Just saying....

HV

What about the non-existent 205-A1++? That is just a nickname we give a 205 with 212 blades and a -17 engine... I think there is nothing wrong with adding performance and then using a nickname. But it should become standard then... Here's what I suggest:

212 with -3 engines 212-

212 with -3B engines 212

212 with the HP kit (including T/R) 212HP

212 with -3 engines and BLR kits 212

212 with -3B engines and BLR kits 212E

212 with the HP setup and BLR kits 212E+

So I think at least 2 of the 212E's on the market have -3's so should be downgraded to straight 212! Just saying....

HV

Not sure what the marketing angle is? a 212 (stock car...no tricks) will do what the flight manual says. so strakes and fast fins add improved performance but no charts published/approved. The benefit would be an increased safety margin and lower pilot work load? The only rig that has increased WAT limits is 212HP with applicable tail rotor.

Keep in mind the dash number of the engine has nothing to do with HP's. One operator of the 212E shows increased WAT limits over the 212HP....im trying to learn where that comes from?