Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Gpi Pump Onboard Storage

I am looking for ideas and photos. Regarding a neat and tidy approach to the onboard storage of my GPI pump, stand pipe and hoses. I’m looking for something that will tuck away in the baggage compartment of longranger & 407. The 407 has an aux tank installed in the rear baggage compartment. So I don't have a big lot of extra space. I was thinking a pelican case or something similar would do the trick. What would be the correct size pelican? Or if you've found something else to work well for you. I am open to all helpful suggestions.

Thanks

• Like 9

Hi Norm,

This may not be what you're looking for, and I apologize I don't have any photos. But I've worked with a few Bell machines that had the pump mounted to a specially cut piece of board that sits against the fwd wall of the cargo hold. The pump and filter were essentially mounted, but you could easily remove brackets to get them out. All that was required then was to run the power cable outside the a/c to the plug, an appropriate length of hose to reach a nearby barrel, and a pre-measured length of hose long enough to reach the fuel cap.

I thought it was quite slick. Still potential for leaks & messes I suppose, but less tear down / set up.

What about the standpipe and the dip stick if you carry one (and you should)? Those collapsible standpipes might fit in a case but usually leak so much air they interfere with the ability of the pump to draw fuel especially if starting out with the drum half empty.

Sometimes i throw my fueling gear into a Rubbermaid tub, not the most robust container but it keeps it neat. Standpipe and dipstick still on the front wall of the baggage compartment but then i fuel almost exclusively out of drums lately.

I could see the pump, filter assembly and the hose fitting in a Pelican type case but the rest of it? That's a puzzle...

W.

The boys set up the standpipe in a black pvc pipe with larger section at top and screw on plug. They did this to keep it dry for cargo rack of lama and works well. Also, Wood McBride has invented this very nice wrench/barrell lifter which you can store stuff in. Is lighter than bung wrench and by using your standpipe works to stand up barrell.

Apologies for sidetracking. Sigh.... i must be getting old, (but still a new guy, ha ha ha) those barrels of fuel seem a lot heavier than they did in the fall. Just yesterday i went to the shop and built myself a barrel lifting tool. It's just a one inch dia. thin wall pipe approx. 4 feet long with a hook to catch the rim about a foot from one end and a small pad that fits into and can open the bung and perhaps it protects a bit from denting too when lifting.

The one you described would be interesting to see Skullcap. I did think about a miniature version where i put the barrel hook on the traditional bung wrench (you know the green ones everyone seems to have) and then used the standpipe as a leaver but was worried about keeping the standpipe clean.

W.

A fuel proof plastic container with a good locking lid is highly recommended. There are a variety of shapes that can accommodate your baggage bay shape and space available. The nice thing about this is that you can keep the smell of jet fuel out of your passengers luggage.

These days the environmentalists require no impact on the environment. So, with the plastic "tub" you can carry all the accessories needed for environmentally friendly remote fuelling. A few items that you should have in the tub:

1. GPI pump
  2. Stand pipe with barrel bung.
  3. Bung wrench
  4. Grounding wire with clips.
  5. Filter assembly (Kamlok fittings with plugs so filters stay a closed system)
  6. Hose assembly ( Kamlok fittings so hose stays a closed system)
  7. Fuel nozzle ( I don't really care for these - but you need to have some way to shut off the fuel at the AC fuel intake)
  8. Fuel proof gloves
  9. Spill kit (inside a BiG ziplock bag)
  10. Water Sampling kit
  11. BIG pen to write on drum when fuel was taken.
  12. GPI repair kit
  13. Couple of wrenches and a screwdriver to change filters.
  14. Spare filters.

This may seem like a lot of stuff but it has kept me out of the glue many a time as things go stupid at a remote fuel cache. If you are not going to remote sites and have a solid plan B if the fuelling system fails you probably could downsize this kit.

Just remember, you probably have become desensitized to the smell of Jet fuel. Your delicate passengers on the other hand will go with another carrier if their clothes stink of eau de Jet A!

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to keep it simple. I picked up a roughneck tub at Walmart. Everything fit nicely inside with the lid on. As for the stand pipe. I like the idea of making a pvc sleeve. Keeping the "stink" to a minimum. Thanks for the suggestions.

• 5 months later...