Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Where Are All The Job Seekers?

Absolutely ####, I wasn't trying to imply that the engeneer wouldn't be busy, just that they are more likely to be available. It also does come down to how busy it is. During the busy season I'd hope he wouldn't be the only engeneer around or at least have an apprentace around to help out. There could be good potential for a base engeneer/manager to be put in a position of being able to delegate a little more and maybe be able to sleep more nights at home. I know that for me, more nights in my own bed = a happier me = happier me at work. Who knows maybe they could end up with somebody who's willing to stay in that capacity for more than one or two seasons. There is also nothing saying that the base pilot couldn't give him a break now and again either. Possibilities are endless, solutions are far and few between. ;)

Sincerely

TB

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DW;

I thought that opening was for Wabasca not Athabasca?

Bases ran by more than one individual have been tried many times, IMHO it doesn't work, can only be "one" boss around, unless the dispatcher becomes that boss is does't work worth a shyt.

I have loved the freedom of being on the base system. It is like your own little company, was a great training place. Without the base managers out there this industry would be a sorry state and they do need to be "cared" for a little more than are now. Have heard the concepts and whinings on the "base vs. pool" debate for years, the only thing that has really come out of it is that pool pilots think they have it better, and that I was always happy to be home most of the time.

Engineers running the base, god, you want some cranky dude who's worked half the night, been up early to do a leak check and then be around most of the day answereing phones and marketing????? The gates is open, yahoo.

sc

Ok...help me out here?

Why does the BM have to be a driver or a wrench? Why not just a manager (as in non-pilot or tech). I know, I know "You have to have somebody who understands the industry, equipment etc etc! Well, I'm sure there are some of these type of people out there who are not drivers or wrenches but know an incredible amount of the industry and are interested in only managing. If you're a pilot or tech BM and at the END of the day, when you get back because you had to do a flight or you had an overhaul that had to be done, and your phone is full of messages, something is wrong!......you could have lost perspective customers, contracts etc!!As an example, where I am, if we have to do a casual hire of an RW and an answering machine picks up, we go to the next company on our list. We don't have time to wait for somebody to call us back at 5 or 6 in the afternoon. To me, it just makes good business sense to do it this way....let the manager (non-pilot) manage and let the drivers and wrenches out of the office to do their jobs. I've talked to some pilot BM's who were a little on the grumpy side because most of their pilots got some decent exports/flying hours/ etc while they had to "fly the desk" back home.

Just an observation

Cheers

A

Wouldn't base manager be an appropriate position for a pilot who, for medical reasons, is no longer considered fit to fly ? I'm sure there are lots of excellent pilots with managerial skills out there who can no longer fly, but who are too young to retire. I'm sure not all drivers in that position have a golden parachute...

I've been doing the B.M thing for just about two years now and I 've gotta say I enjoy it. Having said that, I do sometimes miss the pool even though our company only has bases,the last company had a huge pool and that was lots of fun. The thing thats so differnt now is that I have the other half and a little one to look after and its nice to be home with them every night .But the endless phone calls and messages on holidays and weekends do get to ya after awhile. All in all its worked out pretty good. Maybe one day I'll venture back out into the wild but for now the B.M thing is cool :D

just my thoughts :wacko:

AC:

Most definetly would be ok to have a non-pilot-engineer as BM. Usually though a base may start with just one person to keep costs down, thus is pilot, kind of the tradition how it all started. But Personally once a base has grown to support such staff, it would be fine or as skidz suggests a pilot who is retired or lost medical.

Have been at a few bases though where the dispatcher "thinks" they run the show and basically make everyone's life miserable, but the good ones probably run the base more than they realize. Have always thanked a good dispatcher gracefully and bought many a lunch, they can really make your life easy and are mostly unappreciated by the whining staff around them. ;)

sc

:) Downwash....your question is a good one. After many years being in management, I opted out to a "contract lifestyle". The advantages are huge after establishing yourself with a few companies. The variety of work, people, aircraft and locations are to me, just to much fun, And not to mention financialy rewarding. I know quite a few flight crew that are doing this these days. Base position? No way.......may be fine for some, but for a lot of us out here, "not a chance"..... ;)