Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Where Are All The Job Seekers?

Apologies, 407D, for not moderating my language a bit better. Sometimes I write thinking people can see my 'tongue in cheek' and they can all too understandably be easily offended. It most definitely wasn't my intention to give the impression that I thought your 'diatribe' (Oxford - "forceful verbal attack," "piece of bitter criticism") was directed against our gang. Rather, I used us to try to make the point that, in the probable majority of cases, helicopter operator management (at least in 'smaller' companies) tends to have base management experience. I think I expressed my delight with our crew of Base Managers, too, so I'm sure your comment about how I might think of them was also 'tongue in cheek.' :D

I will, though, express my regret that what you say about the predominantly mercenary nature of our 'breed' is pretty much the reality. Not that I've ever thought our services, individual or corporate, should be in any way donated - rather that it might be nice if other considerations could more frequently be given at least a tad more shrift than is usually the case. For one example, should opportunities to expand one's field of experience/qualification necessarily be sacrificed on the altar of the almighty dollar? Not IMOH but, then, I know I'm in a distinct minority. B)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone on the "outside" I would think this would be an awsome job for say a low-time pilot, from what I here you get the odd flight, so is this to be considdered, how much does a BM make anyway :huh: and would this bean option (ie. does a lowtime pilot meet the requirements? Coming into this industry I would think a BM might sound like a good Job, Stay at home meet lots of pilots, get the odd flight in make some $ to pay for you liscence possibaly make it to the pool :)

Correct me if im wrong but it just seemed plain logical to me :blink: , Cole

..........and add to that the ability to draw up a budget for the comimg year and justify or defend that budget at the company "round table" meeting. The tactfullness of your abilty to do that without getting "hot under the collar" or casting dispersions on others superior to you goes a long way in your defending that budget. They don't teach that at the training schools and some people have it and some don't.

You are correct Maggie, there are many needed abilities to being a GOOD BM and it's not just what one does in their office or in the a/c at the Base that counts either. The ability to smile when you would just as soon rip someone's face off is a tremendous attribute to have on some occasions also. :D

The ability to smile when you would just as soon rip someone's face off is a tremendous attribute to have on some occasions also.  :D

how true !!!

One of the main problems of BM's is that "you" are responsible for everything but the keys of the "coffer" are in somebody else's hands... i.e. you can't do what you think its necessary. In certain situations you get blamed for everything that goes wrong while others claim the sponsorship of everything that goes well...

Am I wrong ???

This has nothing to do with the position that is in the first post because I simply do not know the company and I have never been in BC before. This is a comment that do not depend on company "X" "Y" or "Z", but has a lot to do with the person that is responsible for the bases at any given time. Its something that can change within the same company depending on who is there.

However for many a base job is by far superior of a "line pilot" position. It also depends on where the base is.

As a base manager for a well respected company (I know, I know, whats a well respected company doing hiring me?) I have the best of most worlds. By that I mean I get as much freedom as I can have without actually owning the company. Most of my customers have become good friends of mine and all of them are willing to work around schedules that I set up. I spend the summer months working fairly steady (400 - 500 hrs) and the winter months taking it easy while still being paid. I do put in extra time making sure that I 've got enough work to keep myself and the company happy and I have had the occasional sleepless night worrying about a tender submission, but all in all work is a giggle.

I get to fly when I want (most times) with people I enjoy working with and I get paid well to do it (65 - 70K per year). It's all about freedom and lifestyle.