Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Foreign Pilots

With RBC front and center in the news for outsourcing Canadian jobs, now would be a really good time to lean on your MP,s about why Canadian companies are bringing in pilots from other countries to fly jobs that Canadians are qualified for.

I was given this explanation by the ops manager of large company a few years ago when I asked. " Why would we pay a Canadian to do a job that a (citizen of a foreign company which shall remain unnamed ) will do it for 3000 a month less.

I,m just sayin.

OK Duece I will bite on this one. We have beaten this subject to death, but this forum is getting boring and it is one of the few subjects no one will get sued over (hopefully), or get the thread removed.

First off Duece, correct me if I am wrong, but don't you work internationally?

To play the devils advocate for a minute, a point was brought up by an executive on the RBC case. He said, what is the difference between someone going to across the border to the US to buy cheaper products, opposed to corporations outsourcing? Either way you are putting Canadians out of work. Food for thought.

No I am not a manager, nor a foreign pilot. Duece is looking for some thought provoking comments, just thought I would get the ball rolling.....

RBC manager is obviously an idiot who is paid to cross speak and work people up without regard for the people they are putting out of work. One lady on CBC elequently put it yesterday that although RBC had made changes in the past and had been a customer for the last 20 or so years that the fact that RBC was willing to put local people out of work she was changing banks.

I do find it interesting that there is a thread about working outside Canada yet there is this thread.

With all respect Hybrid, i think your completely out of the tracks ...

This is a manner of un employed canadian pilot able to for filed the work while foreign 's do the job for us ..

Who give's a Shyte if some one's working intl to fill spots anyone can take over there for lack of whatever ?

What inda hhell buying your products in u.s has to do with this ?

In Quebec we are sooo out of nurse, we're giving em direct position entry with everything eased out regarding immigration, education and many more ... So far, no body's complaining about foreign worker , we got an urgent need and we are very happy to see them working here.

Unfortunately , i can confirm there 's NO NEED what so ever in aviation here ..

Ok i'm done .. nuff said !

• Like 1

With all respect Hybrid, i think your completely out of the tracks ...

This is a manner of un employed canadian pilot able to for filed the work while foreign 's do the job for us ..

Who give's a Shyte if some one's working intl to fill spots anyone can take over there for lack of whatever ?

What inda hhell buying your products in u.s has to do with this ?

In Quebec we are sooo out of nurse, we're giving em direct position entry with everything eased out regarding immigration, education and many more ... So far, no body's complaining about foreign worker , we got an urgent need and we are very happy to see them working here.

Unfortunately , i can confirm there 's NO NEED what so ever in aviation here ..

Ok i'm done .. nuff said !

Out of nurse? Not good! More direct position entry needed ,I guess.

• Like 1

Well I won't even begin to defend banks or Monsantos, they are all corrupt greedy corporations. I just think that people who hop across the border to save a few bucks, then complain about banks outsourcing (to save a few bucks) are just a tad hypocritical. The result is the same, just more zeros on the end for the corporations savings.

I don't think I have ever met a Canadian pilot who hasn't enquired about working internationally, including myself. Again I find it hypocritical to complain; for example, about Aussies coming into Canada, when I could name quite a few Canadians that have worked there during this fire season. Personally I would like to block all foreign pilots from working in Canada, but would like to be able to work anywhere in the world. A bit of a pipedream...... can't have it both ways.

• Like 1

Although agree with most of what you are saying I think the people who cross border shop are not as much hypocritical as not really looking at the bottom line. They don't take into account their time which like most of us think is worth nothing unless sitting in or working on a helicopter, ha ha. They also don't take into account the wear and tear and cost of the vehicle. We used to go in Idaho for fuel and dairy products but really, it was just an excuse to go for a drive.

Our world is changing and there is going to be more global economics rather than less so it is up to each individual to set about thier comfort levels. I have no problem with the friendly folks working at a and w but if you are going to be flying, the safety of the public should be formost, and that means you can speak and understand the language being used. By speaking english I have flown in Mexico and Peru and able to speak and be understood by air traffic and IMO safe. I hear most days language that is supposed to be english and have pretty much no idea what is being said in Alberta. And some of these folks are actually english speaking Canadians. Mostly fixed wing students mind you. Do the instructors now actually focus on speaking? I used to sit in the flight service station for hours trying to get the lingo down,,,,,,,,,,sidetracked.