Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Foreign Pilots

OK Duece I will bite on this one. We have beaten this subject to death, but this forum is getting boring and it is one of the few subjects no one will get sued over (hopefully), or get the thread removed.

First off Duece, correct me if I am wrong, but don't you work internationally?

To play the devils advocate for a minute, a point was brought up by an executive on the RBC case. He said, what is the difference between someone going to across the border to the US to buy cheaper products, opposed to corporations outsourcing? Either way you are putting Canadians out of work. Food for thought.

No I am not a manager, nor a foreign pilot. Duece is looking for some thought provoking comments, just thought I would get the ball rolling.....

You misunderstand me. I was just saying that if someone has a problem with it, now would be a good time to act. I did work internationally for CHC. Usually either the company chartering the machine or an insurance company insisted on pilots with Canadian licenses at one set of controls. One exception to was Equador where the registrations were changed and Equadorian pilots were used.Thats because the Government insisted in order to protect Equadorian jobs.

• Like 2

With RBC front and center in the news for outsourcing Canadian jobs, now would be a really good time to lean on your MP,s about why Canadian companies are bringing in pilots from other countries to fly jobs that Canadians are qualified for.

I was given this explanation by the ops manager of large company a few years ago when I asked. " Why would we pay a Canadian to do a job that a (citizen of a foreign company which shall remain unnamed ) will do it for 3000 a month less.

I,m just sayin.

Deuce,

I'm an Australian pilot who worked in Canada a few years ago during the boom (then bust) & I'm looking for summer work in Canada again this year. You claim that citizens of unnamed countries undercut Canadians, so to be sure that I'm not one of the unnamed, what remuneration should I be asking for longlining in an A-Star?

P.S. - We had a busy fire season down here this year, I worked with quite a few Canadians who appreciated the winter work.

Deuce,

I'm an Australian pilot who worked in Canada a few years ago during the boom (then bust) & I'm looking for summer work in Canada again this year. You claim that citizens of unnamed countries undercut Canadians, so to be sure that I'm not one of the unnamed, what remuneration should I be asking for longlining in an A-Star?

P.S. - We had a busy fire season down here this year, I worked with quite a few Canadians who appreciated the winter work.

Were those Canadian pilots working for Canadian companies with fire contracts in Australia or for Australian companies?

• Like 3

Were those Canadian pilots working for Canadian companies with fire contracts in Australia or for Australian companies?

I suspect your question is sarcastic rather than genuine, however I'll respond for those who are interested.

As far as I know there are no Canadian companies with fire contracts in Australia, rather Australian companies have the contracts, & due to the fact that they don't have the aircraft or crew they hire them, mostly from canadian companies. Unfortunately this means that Australian pilots don't get the opportunity to crew these aircraft. However there are a few Australian companies with mediums, the last time I visited 1 of them they had canadian pilots flying for them full time.

I don't mind, it's a big world with opportunities everywhere for those who seek it out.

• Like 1

the # 1 problem with the day VFR market in canada is, there is 100 people in line to do you job for less pay, longer hours, longer tours, worse conditions ect. 'for the love of it' who gives a #### if there foreign or canadians.

In a nutshell.

I used to be one of the 'foreinurs' now a landed immigrant.

I was NOT paid LESS than a Canadian with the same papers, I took a job that seemingly noone else wanted, and kept it for many years. AFTER I got my landed immigrant status did I go for a 'regular' pilot gig.

Not saying there is no abuse, I know of several other 'foreinurs' that are using the system for what it is worth, preventing others to get that job. I also know of several that hold MORE than one job (i.e. work different jobs) on a work permit that allows only one. In all actual fact, you cannot even VOLUNTEER as a person on a work permit, at a job OTHER than the one on your actual permit paper affixed in your passport.

As there appears to be a slow season coming, I think it is only right that we are more protective of our jobs, but then again, when someone are looking for a job, and only a 'foreinur' fits the bill....

There are things that could be done, for instance the rules for getting foreign workers in, could be changed to make it more difficult to "tailor" adds for certain individuals.

I know of one company in ##$$##$% that used a specific wording in an ad, to get one particular applicant in, published in an obscure paper. Someone else could obviously have done the job, but it was so tailormade that that would have made any other applicant unable to apply...

Also know of another case where applicants where IGNORED because the one doing the hiring just threw out the other applications, and said there where no applications...

Anyway, long ramble there, I think it is fair that the borders are open, so that I can work here, or there or everywhere, but everyone should follow the rules the same way.

I know that some companies have had problems this year in getting Labour Market Opinions approved for hiring people from abroad this year....

Cheers
H.

Unfortunately it still amounts to having lost opportunities for junior Canadian pilots. I find it hard to believe that there is a shortage of pilots here, except maybe experienced pilots. The current situation doesn't do well to grow our own. I believe that working internationally to fill a legitimate shortage is ok, but I support making it harder for non-Canadians to get in here.

• Like 1

I believe that working internationally to fill a legitimate shortage is ok, but I support making it harder for non-Canadians to get in here.

What if there isn't a shortage of qualified pilots in certain countries, then what do you think of Canadians flying in those countries?