Foreign Pilots

Again it wasn,t my intent to revisit this topic. I just heard the PM on the news saying that the foreign workers program is in place only to fill areas where there is a shortage. I know for a fact that some Canadian helicopter companies are abusing this law in order to cut costs.

This is in no way the fault of pilots or engineers from other countries.

As far as what the going rate goes for an A star long liner.....I have no idea. Past 25 years in Offshore IFR land. And currently retired.

• Like 1

Sounds like im screwed then... Being a foreign pilot, having studied my CPL at a Canadian school,Maybe sometimes people from elsewhere just want it more,maybe theyve already given up alot to be where they are. Maybe when your from somewhere else you gotta work HARDER to compete with the locals. Its not even a competition.... I have to sort out visas etc. (no employer will bother with all the drama about sponsoring.) dealing with Canadian Immi. takes years of planning and dedication. When youve busted you arse to get here,Getting a job is just the next step.. I reckon it doesnt matter where ur from . If your the best for the job its yours.

Unfortunately, Aussie Az, you still have to compete.

It took me 15 years to get where I am now, and all of it took work-work-work. I took jobs noone else wanted (not bad ones, just not desireable) and I am watching people that I trained with being in seats I dreamed of, but just now starting to be able to get (or now not really wanting to get, different point...).

I think the problem is that we all see the temporary workers that flood through in the summer, and take away the oportunities that someone else wants. Some times it's just about being at the right place at the right time, at other times, you have to meet all the criteria.

I still see companies hiring foreigners, but from what I understand now, it is increasingly difficult to get that waunted work permit.

Studying to become a Commercial Pilot does NOT qualify for a 1 year permit, however, if you are under 35 you can get an unlimited 1 year work permit. BUT, alas if you don't have the required experience, no jobs will be available.

I know our company hired on 2 low tiers this year (or more, but 2 I know of), for "grooming" purposes. If you have employable skills, you will be employed if you work at it.

Back to the Immigration/foreign worker bit... I went to several restaurants in Goose Bay this winter, ALL of them, EVERY single one of them... Had mostly philipinos working there. Why is that?? Well noone else wants those jobs at the wages they pay. Simple as that. It is easier to draw EI or welfare, than to go work at timmies for next to nothing...

Cheers

H.

• Like 1

Guest bag swinnger

Canadian low time pilot for hire some drill and seismic time 206 and 350 endorsed, 1st season free! Any country any time.

Cheers Mate!

1st season free!

Hmm, maybe I can sub contract you out...

Canadian low time pilot for hire some drill and seismic time 206 and 350 endorsed, 1st season free! Any country any time.

Cheers Mate!

And this is going to help the industry? The problem isn't the foreign hires if this is the mentality of our own pilots!

And walmart, tim hortons, and subway are big time abusers to the tune of 300,000 foreign workers last year, pretty bad when 54,000 people lost their jobs last month.

When I lived in Whitehorse the owner of Tim Hortons would not hire anyone except Phillipinos. I know this, because I was in a long line up at the Superstore with him when he told me; the line up was there because they could not find enough locals to fill the cashier positions. The Phillipinos work hard, are punctual and are friendly. The locals that he hired were lazy, late and bitchy, if they actually made it to work. In time we will be complaining that we are working for the Phillipinos......