Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Foreign Pilots

Easy Brother, Still new to flying if you look at the big picture of time spent in the industry as a whole. So yes pretty low time under the High time mark of 40 years in service.

Have to say I’ve had the pleasure of working with the humblest of gentlemen the last few years yes some of them Immigrants! Some with fantastic hands easy personality’s every bit deserving as me. Not saying it’s a fare or perfect world but anyone who goes to the trouble to fly in Canada to get going deserves credit, Good on them they have far more drive than I.

The way I see it it’s business and marketing. Another shameful area of Aviation I’m sure some English, Swiss, Kiwi and the Odd Auzzi workers have helped keep the doors open in less than perfect times. Nicely done!

Yes I can be subcontracted but only for a season!

Safe season all

Easy Brother, Still new to flying if you look at the big picture of time spent in the industry as a whole. So yes pretty low time under the High time mark of 40 years in service.

Have to say I’ve had the pleasure of working with the humblest of gentlemen the last few years yes some of them Immigrants! Some with fantastic hands easy personality’s every bit deserving as me. Not saying it’s a fare or perfect world but anyone who goes to the trouble to fly in Canada to get going deserves credit, Good on them they have far more drive than I.

The way I see it it’s business and marketing. Another shameful area of Aviation I’m sure some English, Swiss, Kiwi and the Odd Auzzi workers have helped keep the doors open in less than perfect times. Nicely done!

Yes I can be subcontracted but only for a season!

Safe season all

Every bit as deserving as you?!?? So lets work for nothing? I'm not your brother and you are an idiot! Done here.

With RBC front and center in the news for outsourcing Canadian jobs, now would be a really good time to lean on your MP,s about why Canadian companies are bringing in pilots from other countries to fly jobs that Canadians are qualified for.

I was given this explanation by the ops manager of large company a few years ago when I asked. " Why would we pay a Canadian to do a job that a (citizen of a foreign company which shall remain unnamed ) will do it for 3000 a month less.

I,m just sayin.

Just saying, eh!? Well, enlighten us which Canadian company is paying their foreign pilot $3000 less than their Canadian counterpart, please! I never heard of said practice! Maybe I'm just deaf and naive. Foreign pilots working for a Canadian company in Canada are being taxed "at source". Means they are paying tax in Canada. They are exposed to the same cost of living while in the country. Low time pilots make let's say, somewhere between $2000 - $4000 a month. According to your theory, a foreign low time pilot pays the company $1000 for the honor to work there and the luckier ones survive on $1000 a month!?!

How many Canadian companies and pilots are working abroad though? Fire fighting in Australia and the United States, oil and gas exploration in Greenland, SAR in Greenland and the US, election support in Angola, seismic in Turkey, construction in Taiwan and Peru and the prime example CHC. They used to be a Canadian company working worldwide. How many Canadian pilots seeking work outside of Canada, in the Emirates, Australia, Africa, South East Asia, PNG, Europe, North and South America?

Take a good look at the foreign and Canadian nationals flying for your company and ask yourself why they are there. It's not because they didn't make it through their initial training or take dance lessons. It's because they, just like their Canadian colleagues they fly with every day, are true professionals. All of them are always willing to do more than expected and posses skills that differentiates them from others. On top of that, the **** foreigners travel to work a day or two longer and leave their loved ones at home for half of their work life, they work out of less desirable places and strive to get all the licences and ratings they can get. It's called dedication and passion. It does not depend on your nationality and everybody can freely decide how much he or she wants to apply to his or her own life to succeed!

Just saying ...

• Like 3

Just saying, eh!? Well, enlighten us which Canadian company is paying their foreign pilot $3000 less than their Canadian counterpart, please! I never heard of said practice! Maybe I'm just deaf and naive. Foreign pilots working for a Canadian company in Canada are being taxed "at source". Means they are paying tax in Canada. They are exposed to the same cost of living while in the country. Low time pilots make let's say, somewhere between $2000 - $4000 a month. According to your theory, a foreign low time pilot pays the company $1000 for the honor to work there and the luckier ones survive on $1000 a month!?!

How many Canadian companies and pilots are working abroad though? Fire fighting in Australia and the United States, oil and gas exploration in Greenland, SAR in Greenland and the US, election support in Angola, seismic in Turkey, construction in Taiwan and Peru and the prime example CHC. They used to be a Canadian company working worldwide. How many Canadian pilots seeking work outside of Canada, in the Emirates, Australia, Africa, South East Asia, PNG, Europe, North and South America?

Take a good look at the foreign and Canadian nationals flying for your company and ask yourself why they are there. It's not because they didn't make it through their initial training or take dance lessons. It's because they, just like their Canadian colleagues they fly with every day, are true professionals. All of them are always willing to do more than expected and posses skills that differentiates them from others. On top of that, the **** foreigners travel to work a day or two longer and leave their loved ones at home for half of their work life, they work out of less desirable places and strive to get all the licences and ratings they can get. It's called dedication and passion. It does not depend on your nationality and everybody can freely decide how much he or she wants to apply to his or her own life to succeed!

Just saying ...

I'm gonna throw up !

Just saying ...

Exactly....... Well said!

In my opinion a company should either have to pay the higher insurance costs associated with hiring low time pilots, or the higher wages required to hire high time pilots willing to work in undesirable places.

There are companies that get around this by offering poor wages and a poor working environment that most wouldn't want to work in. When nobody wants to work for them they cry for visas and get them. The pilots come from overseas looking to build time and get Canadian experience. They have just a few days to leave the country if they quit their job, allowing the employer to exploit them as they please.

I don't blame any pilot willing to do whatever it takes to see his dream through regardless of his country of origin. I do however blame the operators doing what I wrote above and a system that allows it.

• Like 5