Euro Crushes Bell

A Bell 214B was hovered at 29,000 feet (peak of Everest) in 1976 by Sultanate of Oman's Air Force (now RAFO) during testing for an attempt to land on the top of Mount Everest. Unfortunately the Nepalese government cancelled the permits at the last minute.

A B3 landed on the top of Everest in 2005.

Ya, cause most of the work is up there???

No kidding. Up to 6000 ft a 407 kicks a b2's butt and not far off a b3. Not to mention accurracy and production are far greater as you can see the world out the 407's door. I have longlined with both and the 407 is far superior. Best intermediate ever(for the non-Everest longline pilots)

• Like 1

No kidding. Up to 6000 ft a 407 kicks a b2's butt and not far off a b3. Not to mention accurracy and production are far greater as you can see the world out the 407's door. I have longlined with both and the 407 is far superior. Best intermediate ever(for the non-Everest longline pilots)

Ouch, that is going to open up a whole different can of worms.

I have to agree with you, but I am usually the only one who feels this way...

Pics or it didn't happen. :)

How about an FAI ratified world record?

That was with a 214A with tin blades and the LTC4B engine making 2650 hp. The 214B with the T55-08D made 2930 hp and has rubber blades better suited for altitude. I wonder what it could do? Bell unofficially did some pretty spectacular flights with the 214B if you believe the stories of the test pilots and the engineers .... but I suppose a lowly FAI record of a lower performance model will have to suffice.

FAI Record File Num #9935

Status: ratified - current record Region: World Class: E (Rotorcraft) Sub-Class: E-1e (Helicopters: take off weight 3000 to 4500 kg) Category: General Group: 2 : turbine Type of record: Altitude in horizontal flight Performance: 9 010 m Date: 1975-04-29 Course/Location: Ahwaz (Iran) Claimant Manuchehr Khosrowdad (IRI) Rotorcraft: Bell 214A Engine: 1 Lycoming LTC 4B-8

That is awesome!

For the record, although I have a fixation for all things Eurocopter, I do have a man-crush on the 214.

If the guys at work see this, they'll razz the heck out of me!