Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

I Better Be Impressed This Summer

The article was written base on an hour long interview. The reporter has been writing stories weekly on past highschool graduates from my hometown in order to try and motivate future generations. The town I come from generates alot of kids who do not want to pursue any sort of a career after highschool. For someone not in the flying community such as the reporter I believe it is almost impossible to write a story and get every fact straight. For someone who knows nothing about the industry I think she did a good job at summarizing it. At the end of the day this was a reporter who was trying to motivate the youth to pursue their goals. Enjoy the summer everyone. Patrick

• Like 8

The article was written base on an hour long interview. The reporter has been writing stories weekly on past highschool graduates from my hometown in order to try and motivate future generations. The town I come from generates alot of kids who do not want to pursue any sort of a career after highschool. For someone not in the flying community such as the reporter I believe it is almost impossible to write a story and get every fact straight. For someone who knows nothing about the industry I think she did a good job at summarizing it. At the end of the day this was a reporter who was trying to motivate the youth to pursue their goals. Enjoy the summer everyone. Patrick

Yer still gonna get razzed about it for a loooooooooooooooong time though... :lol::D:P

A couple years ago a tv reporter came up to me the day after a woman drowned near where I was surfing. Asked me if I would mind answering a couple questions on camera. She asked me a bunch of stuff over a period of about 10 minutes. The edited interview lasted about 10 seconds on the evening news. What came out had absolutely no resemblance to what I had said. I basically came accross as saying the woman had been careless and got what she deserved, which is obviously not what I'd said. My buddies still make fun of me for that one...

Moral of the story: when you see a reporter, RUN !!! :o

• Like 1

Illegitmi Non Carborundum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was my point... things taken out of context are just that....

Let he without sin cast that first stone... and that first stone best be carborundum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HV

P.S. I have heard you're very good Patrick so please drop us a resume when you're looking for a change...

It was a nice article and anyone who has been in the industry can nod their head and say yeah, kind of like me...

I remember when i was getting my license a friend put a small blurb and a pic of me landing "my" R-22 on my parents farm in the local paper, grrrrrr...... ha ha ha. I didn't hear the end of that one for ages and most everyone knew me as it was a small town.
If you have spent any time working around helicopters especially emergency services, you know how reporters are and avoid them like the plague. As Skidz mentioned, they take your words (aforementioned article not withstanding) and put them in a blender and out comes not what you said but what they wanted you to say to support the network point of view (sensationalized garbage mostly).
Interactions with the media are hit and miss with more of the latter.
When i first started out as heli logging ground crew i remember being so impressed by pilots who it seemed could put a 200' line in your hand (back in the day when we used chokers on the big ones) like it was an egg, well most of the time! ha ha ha. One of my faves was "Peanut". There are lots of talented pilots out there with a line and you can be proud of your craft! I love long lining but have to say i have only ever used up to a 140' line so not a rock star like the guys on the 61 or 64. ha ha ha.

W.

Good on ya Patrick for setting the example for other young people in your community. In today's world of meth, spoiled teens and otherwise lazy kids its nice to see positive productive community based reporting. Again well done, fly safe !!

P5

• Like 1

Guest plumber

OHHHHH! Look at you with all this time to give interviews!!! That toilet aint gonna clean it's self Iceman!!