Canmore Overflight

To those of you who continue to overfly Canmore, some of you should look at CARs and refresh yourselves on minimum altitudes over built up areas. I've had several neighbors who have lived with Alpine Helicopters in the valley for several years and are now recognizing the professionalism that they exude in flying around the community. These neighbors have asked about the laws with respect to low level flight over built up areas. Before spouting off, I did my research to refresh and have provided some with links to the pertinent sections of CARs so they can read for themselves. Some are quite annoyed with the amount of low flying traffic in the area and have indicated that they will be taking photographs of aircraft who insist on regular flights at lower than 1000 ft AGL and will forward them to Transport Canada for further investigation.

So, for those of you conducting flights that are actually a necessity, welcome and thanks for all of your hard work. For those of you who find it necessary to have a look for yourself or profit from the losses of others, consider yourself warned.

• Like 10

Just curious why everyone is coming down on Teabagger for wanting pilots to follow the aviation laws? As professional pilots, should we not try to overfly built up areas at 1000' above? Did anyone bother to check to NOTAMS for the area before they rant? If you did you would see that there was one on for the local area and all flights had to be approved by parks Canada. This NOTAM could be removed by now, I am not sure as I did not look today. In this particular situation, there were a lot of pilots trying rescue people from situations that could be and were harmful to the people there amd then there were the lookieloos just trying to get as close as they could for a photo. I personally know Alpine Helicopters works very closely with the town of Canmore to make sure they follow specific flight paths in and out of town every day. You would be surprised how many complaints they get from residents when someone flys into town who has not bothered to look at his current CFS and flys somewhere he/she shouldn't be. Guess what, to most residents of town they can't tell an Astar from a 206 and Alpine takes the blame. Teabagger, thanks for your post, and for everyone trying to come out and get a photo of the distruction, check the NOTAMS, have a look at the CFS, and come on out but follow the rules.

• Like 7

I worked on the ground at alpine many years ago and I know some of the drivers there and they need that heliport to make ends meet. Alpine is also a great embasador for the Canadian Rockies and save lives out of the base. All operators currently taking advantage of this situation are making it harder for Alpine to reopen the heliport when things get under control potentially resulting in slower response time on SAR and class D rescues thus costing lives. Airmanship is important always but more so in these situations. I wish Canore the best in rebuilding and when I get back to calgary I will be participating in any cleanup efforts, we should all do what we can.

As a footnote there are many families that have lost everything and can use gently used items if you have any to spare. Thanks in advace.

• Like 1

Obviously there is going to be more traffic in the area due to the recent events. I hope the residence take that into consideration. Most people will complain about 'low flying helicopters' and noise just because there is more traffic. They can't accurately determine what's low flying and what's not.

I've had a complaint for "low flying" which transport investigated. They had me on radar and the lowest altitude agl showed 980ft.transport still tried to fine me, until I pointed out that their radar printout clearly states in bold 'does not account for altimeter setting'

Deep Throat the third...Yes, serious and even more so are my neighbors.

Elvis...if you refresh yourself with CARs, you'll see that there are provisions for both STARS and the RCMP which basically makes them exempt and there are also provisions for any other operator depending on the purpose of the flight and/or permits held.

Simpleton....your name and accompanying photo says it all!

Helilog56...I would agree with you on the soggy Corn Flakes. The problem is that they also have soggy rugs, soggy couches, soggy drywall, soggy insulation, soggy panties and the list goes on. Unfortunately, the next step for some of them is the wrecking ball. Pretty sure they'd just like to be afforded some respect.

Farmer...thanks! I assume you've made it home. First time you've had to show ID to get back home eh? I'd say you're lucky they let you back in. ;-)

Rotor...you know the routine. Hope all is well at your home too!

Flingwinger...I can sympathize with your case. The only way to really know 100% if you are in fact 1000 ft is to have a radar altimeter. That being said, there's a big difference in 300 ft and 1000 ft.

Essentially, some of this comes as a result of emotions due to losses that people have encored. BUT, it also comes as a result of "some" not being respectful of those who have encored those losses.

• Like 1

Christ, whine a little bit more.............oops, forgot about all those emotions of yours. You're not in a situation that millions of others haven't been through in the world, and if you've got time to ***** about low flying aircraft on an internet forum, you'd be better served spending your time mopping up water instead.