Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Homebuilt Helicopter

Ryan

Ryan, the multitude of 'pilot error' accidents on the R22 are due to the inherent design factors (flaws, if you prefer) of the type. The very poor blade inertia, coupled with, and related to, an extremely narrow operating RPM band, have always made the machine a 'greenie trap' in my estimation. Not too many years ago, it had the dubious distinction of having killed more people per airframe flying than any other type of production helicopter, and the vast majority of them were students or low-time private pilots.

Frank Robinson's acceptance of this design characteristic, and its less-drastic cousin, Bell's 'teetering head,' are sad but prime examples of what lengths engineering entrepreneurs will go to in order to get a product out. Although we can place some blame with the certifying authorities, the political pressures brought to bear on them by the manufacturers are enormous.

Let's hope the industry's getting past the point of 'quantity at any cost, but quality only if it's not costly.' B)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that DW. The Robbies rep sure ins't undeserved. I give that little ship nothing but the respect and attention it needs. And for as much as I love them, I'll always remember something Bob told me early in training.

"With those low inertia blades, you have about 2 seconds max to get the collective on the floor if the engine craps out. Considering the average human relex is about 0.5 to 1 second depending on the situation, you then have 1 second to get the collective down. After that you probably won't have the altitude to regain RRPM, if it's still even possible."

Like I said... I love those twitchy little buggers. But in the same breath I've also been aboard a power-recovery auto that bottomed out at the last second, resulting in a very dangerous half-cocked bounce off the grass. :shock:

I love em but am very wary of them too.

If there are low timers seriously looking into a ship to build time on there is a R-22 Alpha in the US going for a great price. It does have pretty high times(+4000) but at least sounds like it's in great shape. Huge list of new parts including installed and balanced blades. Still has a few hundred hours left till it's next overhaul. Could be worth taking a trip to check it out for the right person.

R-22 here.

Do not compound the biggest mistake of your life, the acquisition of a helicopter pilots license, with the second biggest mistake, buying a helicopter. The time logged in such circumstances will be useless, not being related to real world operations in any way, and would amount to no more than aimless flying about. The cost of operating even an R22 for a private individual is staggering. If you have that kind of money, go to University and study aeronautical engineering or business.

Having said all that, perhaps someone will give you a job just to prove this poster wrong.

The problem with people who have dreams is that they are asleep. Wake up. Those who buy into the fiction that goals sufficiently desired and pursued can be achieved are often disappointed. Some who believed they could conquer Everest are now dead.

The problem with people who have dreams is that they are asleep. Wake up. Those who buy into the fiction that goals sufficiently desired and pursued can be achieved are often disappointed. Some who believed they could conquer Everest are now dead.

Woah there Sisyphus....where did that come from? Your opinions are just as important as the rest of ours. But what's the point of this statement? I'm gonna bite my tongue here and just say that this was rude and uncalled for. :down:

Aaaccckkk! NO DREAMS?! Dreams move on if you wait too long!

Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it. -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe. -Anatole France

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. -Henry David Thoreau

Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -Anonymous

Yes, you can be a dreamer and a doer too, if you will remove one word from your vocabulary: impossible. -Robert Schueller

:)