Deregulation ?

Since the introduction of SMS and all the safety seminars the accident rate in the helicopter industry is going up.

Do you have numbers to back that up?

Where did common sense go?

Common sense isn't always all that common, and varies from one person to another. The more people that come into the industry, the less likely that common sense is present. If the industry hired only pilots and AMEs with common sense, there'd be like two small companies in the entire country...

Transport Canada needs an overhaul and maybe they should pull there head out of there *** and bring in some people from our industry and not the military.

They should. They should also shut down any remotely unsafe companies, as well as most of the puppy-mill flight schools. Generally, reduce the number of aircraft, pilots, AMEs and operators. That would put the focus back on real quality and common sense.

Paper work and SMS isn't what keeps the rotors out of the trees COMMON SENSE DOES.

When it comes down to it, SMS isn't paperwork. It simply documents what is/should already be happening. Why would someone NOT apply the same level of pride and professionalism to documentation that they apply to carrying out their every day work?

Paperwork doesn't keep the rotors out of the trees, but neither does common sense alone. Now one is born with the knowledge, information, education, and experience that actually keeps the rotors out of the trees. Knowledge, information, and education happens largely on paper. Books, studying, passing on information and learning from mistakes within a company...these fall into the category of 'paperwork' that many seem to think is 'useless'...

• Like 5

That goes for any quality or safety system. These elements are more states of mind than processes. If the people at the top aren't encouraging and living safety and quality themselves, then the workers aren't carrying it out. Management won't hire quality people. Management leads by example, and that example trickles down and creates the safety and quality culture of the company, for better or for worse.

Do you mean that it is managements fault ....? Not criticizing but I see an implication that when I work for someone it's not my morals and common sense that matter but the managements ..... or another way ....I could be a good worker but if I work for bad management I won't use my common sense and morals.

That's not how I work .... but it does have to do with who I choose to work for ....

• Like 1

Do you mean that it is managements fault ....? Not criticizing but I see an implication that when I work for someone it's not my morals and common sense that matter but the managements ..... or another way ....I could be a good worker but if I work for bad management I won't use my common sense and morals.

That's not how I work .... but it does have to do with who I choose to work for ....

Management is responsible for the system and culture within the whole organisation. We might be safe, professional, use our common sense etc as individuals, but it might only be limited to our own little work bubble. It's management's responsibility to make sure you're not just working in your own little bubble, that important information gets to you and others or info gets from you to them, that there's good lines of communication, etc. That kind of stuff defines companies with good safety, quality, and professional reputations. "The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts", and only management can make that happen.

http://elizabethmaymp.ca/news/blogs/2013/07/15/trains-pipelines-and-disasters/

This is interesting, I can't bring my mind around to voting for the party, but it's the kind of opposition that I am looking for on the environmental side, if not for the economic chasm to fall into...

One comment by Ms. May worries me because it is exactly what bureaucracy thrives on .... and that is that regulating makes things safe. The only thing making the helicopter I fly safe is the engineer and myself. Regulation doesn't make it safe ....

Her quote ...? " Trains are generally speaking a very safe way to transport goods – as long as they are properly regulated "

So if they are not properly regulated then trains are unsafe. HA!!!! If you fall for that shite then don't fly ... or take a train .... or do ANYTHING ... unless you are REGULATED.

• Like 1

One comment by Ms. May worries me because it is exactly what bureaucracy thrives on .... and that is that regulating makes things safe. The only thing making the helicopter I fly safe is the engineer and myself. Regulation doesn't make it safe ....

Her quote ...? " Trains are generally speaking a very safe way to transport goods – as long as they are properly regulated "

So if they are not properly regulated then trains are unsafe. HA!!!! If you fall for that shite then don't fly ... or take a train .... or do ANYTHING ... unless you are REGULATED.

The problem we face right now with de-regulation is that TC has gone completely the other way. The pendulum needs to stop somewhere in between with enough regulation that operators know that the regulator (TC) has the resources to enforce the self-regulation proposed by SMS. Right now, it's a jungle out there, with many operators having no qualms with breaking the rules knowing full well that TC is a toothless tiger.

In any system where you put an industry in a position where it is possible to cut corners in order to increase profits, you'll always find some who will. The less enforcement capability you have, the more likely it'll happen and on a greater scale. And just like gangrene, if no one does anything to cut out the rot, it'll spread...

• Like 2

The only thing making the helicopter I fly safe is the engineer and myself. Regulation doesn't make it safe ....

Regulation doesn't automatically make something safe by default, but neither does the lack of regulation default to a system of common sense, professionalism, and safety. You went through flight school and training in a deliberate, conscientious, and regulated manner. The AME went through school and apprenticeship in a deliberate, conscientious, and regulated manner. Generally, further learning, knowledge, and information is spread in a deliberate, conscientious, and regulated manner to ensure proper and accurate dissemination of that information.

I'm sure you wouldn't be too happy or feel too safe if your engineer started doing whatever they felt like, without any regard to damage/wear limits, turbine installation procedures, flight control rigging, etc, because regulations/procedures don't play a role in those things...right? That's all just stupid paperwork that doesn't do anything to keep anyone safe.

As Skidz points out, the lack of regulation/enforcement can often lead to a system of the lowest common denominator. It only takes a few rotten apples to spoil the barrel...

You went through flight school and training in a deliberate, conscientious, and regulated manner. The AME went through school and apprenticeship in a deliberate, conscientious, and regulated manner..

Yeah ... but all the good ones promptly forgot all that and got down to business.

The business? Flying safely and efficiently. I don't know one regulation I learned that made that happen!

Money and greed vs safety. It can work! But hold on!

The advocates for the SMS system believe in a perfect world where business will accept operating losses in the face of long term safety improvements ." Good maintenance is good for business" -business with piles of money put in to fix problems preventively may work only when there is an infrastructure in place in and the CEO or president is not the SMS guy too.

SMS guy working in a small feet operation reports a problem goes to his boss for cash to fix it and guess what- no money!! He cannot force his safety beliefs on the boss of the small business.

SMS does work under situations of just business culture and a large enough corporation with the means.

SMS does not work for the majority of small operators. The bottom line -short term or the means out balances the process.

Miss guided willfull blindness if one believes that human nature and greed wont push the limits.

Seen it happen over and over! Saw one company years ago run a set of MR blades down to the last hour, miracle they didn't come apart- just to squeeze the last drop of rev out of the deal .. Why because bell said they would go 5000 hrs. The chief engineer left over the issue and would have no part of it. So another chief engineer was hired.

P5