Deregulation ?

Saw one company years ago run a set of MR blades down to the last hour, miracle they didn't come apart- just to squeeze the last drop of rev out of the deal .. Why because bell said they would go 5000 hrs. The chief engineer left over the issue and would have no part of it. So another chief engineer was hired. P5

Huh? You can't run blades to the life limit? You want to explain that one.

• Like 9

Yes I will explain. But before I do it's important to draw an analogy so there is good comprehensive understanding of how people think and " what it says in the book"

I was sitting in a bar in Africa , in Mwanza Tanzania to be more specific and there was a local sitting a few chairs down , we were enjoying a few cocktails then on the bar TV a national geographic show started called " Tigers" . As we both watched in Awe at these beautiful creatures suddenly a Lepeord entered the seen. I said " look a leopard" the African man beside me said " what" I responded again " it's a leopard" he say back in his chair all with a sterness and said " We'll if that's a leopard then why would they call the program " Tigers" .

So yes the blades can go to 5000 hrs but under what conditions had the been operated? There had been several repairs . Having operated in several parts of the world different environmental conditions engines and other components don't make it to book life.

Again it's this " what the book says mentality that further inhibits the chance of SMS working in smaller companies" where is the preventative thinking in that?

p5

• Like 1

Saw one company years ago run a set of MR blades down to the last hour, miracle they didn't come apart- just to squeeze the last drop of rev out of the deal .. Why because bell said they would go 5000 hrs.

I take it that you are implying that parts do not actually last their certified life.

Please tell us what the manufacturers life limits actually mean.

Also please explain to us the "miracle" of the blades not coming apart. What I read is that blades can come apart anytime before the manufacturers limits. If this is true then you had best contact Transport Canada and let them know that every helicopter - even with brand new parts - is at risk of coming apart at anytime!

I am eagerly awaiting your response before my next flight!

Edit: Sorry ... I missed the last post. I didn't realize that you had confirmed you are an idiot.

Edited by helicopterjim
  • Like 5

I take it that you are implying that parts do not actually last their certified life.

Please tell us what the manufacturers life limits actually mean.

Also please explain to us the "miracle" of the blades not coming apart. What I read is that blades can come apart anytime before the manufacturers limits. If this is true then you had best contact Transport Canada and let them know that every helicopter - even with brand new parts - is at risk of coming apart at anytime!

I am eagerly awaiting your response before my next flight!

Edit: Sorry ... I missed the last post. I didn't realize that you had confirmed you are an idiot.

Yes Jim - blades,spherical bearings,engines, and various other items often don't make it to book life mostly due to environmental issues salt, sand etc. but that's ok Jim we can pretend its a tiger because that's what's in the book,

P5

• Like 1

Yes Jim - blades,spherical bearings,engines, and various other items often don't make it to book life mostly due to environmental issues salt, sand etc. but that's ok Jim we can pretend its a tiger because that's what's in the book, P5

So what you are telling us is that you are calling it a Tiger because it has nothing to do with the manufacturers life limit but because it is failing due to something completely different. So why do you mention the manufacturers life limit?

• Like 1

So what you are telling us is that you are calling it a Tiger because it has nothing to do with the manufacturers life limit but because it is failing due to something completely different. So why do you mention the manufacturers life limit?

Compressor life limit= x hrs. Operator runs it through acidic conditions, blades wear etc. operator skimps on preventative maintenance washes etc. compressor does not make life limit. Operator continues to run item despite all this because he monitors his own SMS and ignores or fudges it. That simple ! component does not make life limit and should be replaced or overhauled prior to life limit.

Don't think I can be any more clear. Same for blades run through industrial pollution prior repairs etc.

But hold on the book says its ok for x hrs??. Yes in a perfect world.

p5

Much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with P5 on this one. Parts don't always reach their expected lifetime. There are usually tolerances that must be respected (blade erosion, bearing play, gaps, etc.). In the end, the AME signing the log is the final authority.

I've been in situations in the past where my AME was pressured by his boss to sign off on inspections when components where out of tolerance and the a/c should have been AOG'd. In one case an AME walked away from the job because he refused to sign off on a 100-hour inspection. He told the customer why he was leaving, and the customer promptly called the company to tell them that our services wewre no longer required. I happily ferried the machine back to base on a ferry permit. If the machine wasn't good enough for my AME, it wasn't good enough for me...

Nope, parts don't always reach life limit, but there is nothing wrong with using all the available time on a component if is still in good, serviceable condition. I believe this is the point Mr. Jim was trying to make.... I'm still not clear on the large jungle cat theories, but I'm not so smart, just a pilot.

Kevin McCormick

• Like 4

But hold on the book says its ok for x hrs??.

Ahhhh ... now I understand. You assume that that is what the manufacturer means. I suppose if you had ever looked at an inspection sheet you would notice that stuff like the condition of the aircraft is also inspected. I don't know of any engineer who does a Daily Inspection by looking at the component life and saying "nothing time-exed ..... it's good to go".

• Like 3