Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Canada Needs Heavy-lift Choppers

Why not take the money we are spending now on the military and outsource it under a contract with the US Armed Forces. We would probably get more bang for the buck.
Are you friggin serious!!!!!!

Why don't we hand them over the keys to the country while we're at it!!!!!

Our sovereignty is shaky enough as it is, let's not make it worse by handing over what's left of Canada to the U.S.A., which is exactly what would happen if their military took over our national defense duties.

Where's your friggin sense of pride for f***'s sake??!! :down:Any country that cannot defend itself, does not have any justification for existing in any form. We exist today ONLY because of where our country is situated and because of who we live next to.

Cap is 100% right! Besides, if you want fiscal sense and more bang for your buck, why not start insisting that our incompetent politicians start doing their friggin job and stop waisting our hard earned money on useless waste like gun registries and sponsership programs and maybe start spending it where it is sorely needed like the military and health care!!!?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great quote Jetbox. Have a little pride lads. We may indeed never have the same huge military the US has but we don't need that. Gen Hillier is headed in the right direction.

We need more capability, we need Chinooks and assault/support ships so we can deploy a small joint force fast and support it.

Let the Americans handle our defence ..... to **** with that.

I'm Canadian and proud of it. We don't have to agree with the yanks every turn of the way but we can and should hold our own on the world stage within our means and we can afford these ships and heavy lift helos.

This equipment would allow us to respond to an Afghanistan operation every bit as much as a Tsunami relief operation. Makes "cents".

Don't be concerned about the US taking us over without our consent. There's three very good reasons why not: (1) there's approximately 14,000,000 other people like me on this continent that have a foot on both sides of the border and some of them are wives of our "esteemed" representatives on Parliament Hill; (2) what do they do with 10,000+ Canadians serving with all the American Armed Services. When they are planning it, they better also check that the 2 nd i/c of their largest Army Division isn't also a Canadian "Exchange" Officer like it is now and (3) clean out Hollywood and then start on Capital Hill because both places are lousy with Canadians and ex-Canadians. The Secret Service can start with the pilot for Air Force One......that's easy right now 'cause he's close by. :lol:

........and we have our homework "cut-out" for us too because we have almost the same problem they have. I say "we" guardedly because me and a whole mess of other folks would have some decisions to make. So someone please wake me up when you hear the buggars coming...... ok? :shock:

Great thread guys!

I harbour the same strong nationalism that many of you do. Canada USED to have a great military history, and pride. we USED to be able to fight alongside any other country and be proud. We kicked butt on d-day, held off the U-boats and were a damned tough bunch to fight against in Italy.

What happened since then? We were an all-volunteer army and still managed to hold our heads high in both world wars and Korea. In war-games with the U.S. we took the William Tell top hounours handily a few years back, our JTF2 soldiers in Afganistan were showing the US special forces "how its done" in Bora Bora, and we now hold the distinction of having the longest distance 'kill' from one of our snipers there. What happened to our military was not the loss of skills of our soldiers, not at all, but they have been ham-strung by politicians and the lack of tools to do their jobs.

Old tanks, dangerous trucks, obsolete avionics, lack of strategic airl-lift, worn out airframes, poor weapons.....the list goes on and on. It'll take 25 yrs of accelerated spending at un-heard of levels to correct the problem. The last few decades of Liberal governments have allowed this to happen. but we elected the government we deserve.....so it all boils down to us, the voter, on election day. If we keep voting in these idiot-pacifists they will continue to gut our military. Lets give our boys and girls in uniform the mandate and equipment they need to do the job we ask them to do, and quit making excuses. Paul Martin, ARE YOU LISTENING????

Sorry folks...I got a bit hot under the collar...but I take this subject seriously. I have more than a few Vetrans in my Family and i know they fought hard on three conflicts and gave us this peace and freedom that we enjoy. Lets not let their sacrifices go in vain.

ok, I'll shut up now.

arctic_front ------the mistake we cannot make when allocating blame is to lay it all on the Liberal governments past and present or any political Party. John Diefenbaker nor Brian Mulroney were Liberals and there were no coup d'etats that brought them all to power........generations elected them. It makes no difference what the political stripe was of past governments, we would still be in the same position. It's an easy "cop-out" to blame this on people of the Liberal presuasion, but I'm afraid that the same garbage ideas came out of Ottawa when the Conservatives held power. I'm old enough to have lived those times and having grown up on the east coast with military all around me, I can tell you that none of them tried to stem the decline, but only added to it. The other mistake that's made quite often by the younger generation is to put some of the blame on the demands of HealthCare and that's another easy "cop-out". HealthCare didn't hit the scene until 1970 and the decline was WELL advanced long before that arrived. It was also well advanced long before our last Aircraft Carrier, HMCS Bonaventure, was sold to a Japanese firm for scrap short MONTHS after Ottawa spent millions of dollars on a total refit. I'm afraid that the "buck stops" with US and until enough Canadians care, the buck will still stop with us. This was all going on when Paul Martin was still in Grade School and Chretin was an articulling lawyer in Chicoutimi.

arctic_front ------the mistake we cannot make when allocating blame is to lay it all on the Liberal governments past and present or any political Party. John Diefenbaker nor Brian Mulroney were Liberals and there were no coup d'etats that brought them all to power........generations elected them. It makes no difference what the political stripe was of past governments, we would still be in the same position. It's an easy "cop-out" to blame this on people of the Liberal presuasion, but I'm afraid that the same garbage ideas came out of Ottawa when the Conservatives held power. I'm old enough to have lived those times and having grown up on the east coast with military all around me, I can tell you that none of them tried to stem the decline, but only added to it. The other mistake that's made quite often by the younger generation is to put some of the blame on the demands of HealthCare and that's another easy "cop-out". HealthCare didn't hit the scene until 1970 and the decline was WELL advanced long before that arrived. It was also well advanced long before our last Aircraft Carrier, HMCS Bonaventure, was sold to a Japanese firm for scrap short MONTHS after Ottawa spent millions of dollars on a total refit. I'm afraid that the "buck stops" with US and until enough Canadians care, the buck will still stop with us. This was all going on when Paul Martin was still in Grade School and Chretin was an articulling lawyer in Chicoutimi.

Cap, I do agree that all parties have been guilty of the destruction of our military, but the long recent period of liberal leadership has been especially negligent. IE: the Seaking/Cormorant debacle.

BTW, I had an uncle serve on the Bonnie as a radio operator/ Navigator in the back seat of an Avenger.