Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Shootout At The Ok Fortune Mine

As i'm sure that most people in the Canadian helicopter industry have heard, a pilot had a severe emotional breakdown in a camp in Northern BC. The pilot worked for Lakelse Air and is a good friend of mine. He is a high time pilot and very talented on a longline.

Before everyone starts judging and contributing to the rumor mill...think about one thing...this could have been a member of your family or good friend.An aircraft was damaged and the pilot is now getting the medical attention he needs.

At the end of the day no one was hurt and machines can be repaired.

You just never know what you are going to wake up to and the mind is a mysterious thing!

Regards

James Carr

Yes the mind is a mysterious thing! Unfortunately given the total lack of professionalism and all the unjustifiable crap that goes especially when dealing with certain people ( who are often in position of power due to nepotism or what have you, or just complete lying arse holes) its really not surprising that even a completely normal stable person could absolutely loose it and go postal. Sane people can only deal with absurdity for so long

Not surprising in the least!

P5

• Like 8

Well said James. And I agree with Hybrid about some stories being left alone. This hasn't exactly been the best season for our industry. Slow on the work front and a couple of bad accidents to start things off. Does highlighting the negative help anyone?

Hopefully we can all get through the rest of the year happy and safely.

Best of luck guys

• Like 1

What does this have to do with CADORS. The aircraft was not flying. When have you ever seen a CADOR of a hot start. There are many hot starts that happen every year.

“reportable aviation incident” means an incident resulting directly from the operation of an airplane having a maximum certificated take-off weight greater than 5 700 kg, or from the operation of a rotorcraft having a maximum certificated take- off weight greater than 2 250 kg, where

(a) an engine fails or is shut down as a precautionary measure;

(B) a transmission gearbox malfunction occurs;

© smoke or fire occurs;

(d) difficulties in controlling the aircraft are encountered owing to any aircraft system malfunction, weather phenomena, wake turbulence, uncontrolled vibrations or operations outside the flight envelope;

(e) the aircraft fails to remain within the intended landing or take-off area, lands with all or part of the landing gear retracted or drags a wing tip, an engine pod or any other part of the aircraft;

(f) any crew member whose duties are directly related to the safe operation of the aircraft is unable to perform the crew member’s duties as a result of a physical incapacitation that poses a threat to the safety of any person, property or the environment;

maybe i'm mis-interpreting this from the AIM.. anyways moving on just figured if it was on the CADORS the facts would be on there

“reportable aviation incident” means an incident resulting directly from the operation of an airplane having a maximum certificated take-off weight greater than 5 700 kg, or from the operation of a rotorcraft having a maximum certificated take- off weight greater than 2 250 kg, where

( B) a transmission gearbox malfunction occurs;

© smoke or fire occurs;

(d) difficulties in controlling the aircraft are encountered owing to any aircraft system malfunction, weather phenomena, wake turbulence, uncontrolled vibrations or operations outside the flight envelope;

(e) the aircraft fails to remain within the intended landing or take-off area, lands with all or part of the landing gear retracted or drags a wing tip, an engine pod or any other part of the aircraft;

(f) any crew member whose duties are directly related to the safe operation of the aircraft is unable to perform the crew member’s duties as a result of a physical incapacitation that poses a threat to the safety of any person, property or the environment;

maybe i'm mis-interpreting this from the AIM.. anyways moving on just figured if it was on the CADORS the facts would be on there

I know of may operators that have melted down turbines and have never seen one on a CADORS. As far as the pilot break down he endangered no one as he never got it li started.

( B) a transmission gearbox malfunction occurs;

© smoke or fire occurs;

Nothing in there says it has to be in CADORS. It has to be reported to TC/TSB. You'll see incidents and accidents in CADORS only if FSS or an ATC unit was involved in the event (ie someone calling to report a missing a/c or an a/c calling FSS or a tower to report an in-flight emergency).. Seeing as the aircraft was on the ground and the RCMP were contacted directly, I'd be surprised to see any mention in CADORS. If a missing aircraft is reported directly to Trenton SAR, it doesn't go into CADORS. Were it not for the fact the story hit the newswire, we might never have heard of the incident. Regardless of the righteous concepts put forth by SMS, no one likes to do their dirty laundry in public.

I'd be curious as to the number of incidents and accidents reported to TC/TSB that are never made public each year...

Sounds like Freddy got fingered!!

Now that's a better question !!!! Yes it looks as though we may well have to invent a guard shield to prevent intentional inadvertent unsolicited bum fingering! Brilliant!

Every flight suit or pair of Carharts destined for the Canadian Rotary industry should come with a double layered asshoole protection device sewed right into the fabric this way you won't think about having to put it on everyday and its just there for that inevitable attempted intrusion.. I guess optional zippers or a quick release hatch could be installed for those who like taking it!

Sign me up for the base model.

P5