Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Couple Of Questions From The New Guy

Cole

Hi! I'm a "new guy" to these forums from Penticton, With a large military background in my family I was woundering(please dont be prophane some pilots have very strong feelings about this) about training in the military, its no sure-fire because if they find one little thing wrong with you your stuck in the military for 4 years and still no liscence, however if you make it you come out with turbine time,and some training is this a good way to go

Oh yea one more, OK mountain helicopters (formerly airborne flight training) Is this a good school to attend it comes with major benifits (HERE) like fueling from barrels sling loading and others, my drum teachers brother (mark) used to teach there and my drum teacher says its a good school. So I ask... is it?

Thanks Cole :)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah cole its a great school, But do lots of research theres also a couple good schools on the coast aswell.But if your in penticton the accomidations might work better in kelowna. John is a great teacher and I'm not sure if he still sends guys north to airborne or not but its a thing to check into forsure. Lots Of his students have gone up north and he uses the 2 major machines that they use up there R22 R44. All the best :up:

hmm lets try this, can you rank the top schools in BC, in three different catagories

S300 Bell47 R22,44,My guess is bc helis, chinook, and Okanogan mountain Helis' are at the top, i dont know yet what i would like to train in, but a pilot friend of mine recommended takinf all of the for a fam flight then choosing, he was impartial to the r-22 and said kelowna is good because they teach most of the peripherals (bucketing,fueling from barrels, logging, and even stay in a bush camp for a while) chinook seems to offer some basic plus some others and I haven't heard much about BCheli's and assume the s300 probably couldnt lift to much for load training, I have heard some FW pilots talking lately about how they bought a plane and hired an instructor,and thought mabey this would work with a helicopter so i did some number crunching and found that if I went in with a partner or two we could by a used 206b pay the intrest for 6 months at 4% and do all are training in a turbine for under 55000 dollars and then whatever else we needed, we found only a few draw backs, peripheral equipment and how to convince a bank give 2 or 3 of us a half a mill USD (this is the price I have found for most 206b's i could find for sale) then factored in say a level 2 instructor and then operational/maitenance costs. BUT, if it breaks down and needs service, it cold be sevral weeks before we could fly again :down:

Thanks for listening to me ramble on

Cole, 15 Penticton

Cole,

What I have seen people do is buy a helicopter, register it as a private, and go to a school and pay only for grounschool and hourly rate for the instructor. Be careful. A 206 for 500k might only have a couple hundred hours left on some pretty major components (like turbine, MRT, TRT, blades, etc.) I've seen R22s going for 25k, but they're close to 2000 hrs TT. R22s have to go back to Torrance for a major factory overhaul at 2200. The cost is upwards of 70k USD...

If you want to go this route, the safest way is to approach a school and ask them to help you find a good machine. They will crunch the numbers for you so you can see if it's worthwhile, taking into account fuel, maintenance, insurance, depreciation, etc.

Btw, the 300 can lift a fair bit more than a 22. You can actually put a cargo hook on it...

Another thing to consider is finding an instructor. I wonder how keen some of our instructor friends like Winnie would be to train someone for 100 hours (including Auto's and what not) on a machine theyve never seen before that was picked up dirt cheap and is on its last legs.

Remember in highschool, your one buddy had the beater no one wanted to drive in.....?

tDawe

Hmm All things to considder, it was just an idea, also the first point was the one I was getting at the top ranked (in your opinion) schools in BC for the top three aircraft, the only thing I had wondered about the 300 was if it could lift at all, in kelowna I would be planning on doing the premier package so the slinging would be done on a 44 :)

Thanks for the replys cole

R22s have to go back to Torrance for a major factory overhaul at 2200. The cost is upwards of 70k USD...

Actually I have it from the Horses Lips (Robinson) that the 2200 hour overhaul is now at around $105.000 US.

If that ain't expensive...

Cole,

You are forgetting to pay your instructor... A class 2 (Which I think you'll need) does not come cheap! And the Housing for your instructor, Hangar for the Aircraft, fuel and so on.

You can have all the peripheral training you want, but sleeping in a tent or a lean-to only lets you know what it is like to stay outside for a few days...

Hey guys I know john in kelowna very well and We've used the 22 for lifting 45gallon drums of water not full mind you but at least half,The 2200 hr overhaul can be done at A.E.S in whitecourt A.B don't know the price they 'd charge though But if you want a really good school I think the three mentioned above are a good list :up:

How did you attach the drums to the R22 ?  :huh: If memory serves, the operating manual for the 22 specifically states "no external loads permitted"...  :mellow:

Just to answer Skidz' question:

Any sling load on an R22 is attached like in the helicopter world with a hook!!!

Obviously his memory does not serve well: Permitted hook load on an R22 is 400 lbs.

SM